Job security for Power Engineers

In summary, the speakers discuss various topics related to pursuing a career in electrical engineering with a focus on power systems. They mention the potential job prospects in this field, the importance of staying up to date with industry developments, and the idea of changing employers throughout one's career. They also mention the importance of having a passion for the work and being open to exploring different aspects of electrical engineering.
Voltage regulator
Hello,
I am going to start school soon for E.E with an emphasis in Power Systems Engineering, I live in NYC and am 21 y.o. I've been reading forum responses across the web from unemployed engineers (Unhealthy habit I know), people don't specify what they specialize in hence the query. I am interested in Electrical, but I am wary because the growth rate from 2014-24 is expected to be 0%, and the unemployment rate was 4.8% in 13', probably higher now. I am choosing power engineering because I believe it can't be outsourced overseas. Does this profession have job security, I am trying to get in with a utility company, such as con-ed? And supposing the job prospects aren't good after graduation, my backup plan is to go to trade school and try to get an electrical apprenticeship and eventually become a journeyman electrician(demand is good out here for electricians). Is it going to be an easy transition? I know an electrician is hard work and is very technical, so no offence to any electricians.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Astronuc
Physics news on Phys.org
Well like we said in the other thread it is good to have passion for your work and you will be a awesome engineer. 0% growth I interpret that it is not growing or decreasing but in 10 years lots of older engineer wil retire so they need young engineers. Also we always need energy all over the world traveling is also easy therefore. It also will take some time before you finish school so lots of things could have been changed.
Tradeschool and EE are two different things if the transition will be easy I don't know. But it seems like you really want to be an EE so follow you heart IMHO.

Likes Voltage regulator
Voltage regulator said:
Hello,
I am going to start school soon for E.E with an emphasis in Power Systems Engineering, I live in NYC and am 21 y.o. I've been reading forum responses across the web from unemployed engineers (Unhealthy habit I know), people don't specify what they specialize in hence the query. I am interested in Electrical, but I am wary because the growth rate from 2014-24 is expected to be 0%, and the unemployment rate was 4.8% in 13', probably higher now. I am choosing power engineering because I believe it can't be outsourced overseas. Does this profession have job security, I am trying to get in with a utility company, such as con-ed? And supposing the job prospects aren't good after graduation, my backup plan is to go to trade school and try to get an electrical apprenticeship and eventually become a journeyman electrician(demand is good out here for electricians). Is it going to be an easy transition? I know an electrician is hard work and is very technical, so no offence to any electricians.
If one is interested in electrical engineering, then one should browse the IEEE website (www.ieee.org). One could become a student member. Folks in power engineering could get involved in component design, control systems, remote relays, or network design and analysis. There are plenty of opportunities.

One should also be familiar with other aspects of electrical engineering, as well as other engineering disciplines, e.g., mechanical engineering as it relates to cooling of generators, motors or other components, or structural analysis, or materials science as it relates to how materials like conductors, insulators or semi-conductors.

Likes Voltage regulator and ElectricRay
ElectricRay said:
Well like we said in the other thread it is good to have passion for your work and you will be a awesome engineer. 0% growth I interpret that it is not growing or decreasing but in 10 years lots of older engineer wil retire so they need young engineers. Also we always need energy all over the world traveling is also easy therefore. It also will take some time before you finish school so lots of things could have been changed.
Tradeschool and EE are two different things if the transition will be easy I don't know. But it seems like you really want to be an EE so follow you heart IMHO.
Well tbh I have some college credits from before that might transfer over so I might be hitting the workforce earlier than expected.

Likes ElectricRay
Voltage regulator said:
Well tbh I have some college credits from before that might transfer over so I might be hitting the workforce earlier than expected.
Astronuc said:
If one is interested in electrical engineering, then one should browse the IEEE website (www.ieee.org). One could become a student member. Folks in power engineering could get involved in component design, control systems, remote relays, or network design and analysis. There are plenty of opportunities.

One should also be familiar with other aspects of electrical engineering, as well as other engineering disciplines, e.g., mechanical engineering as it relates to cooling of generators, motors or other components, or structural analysis, or materials science as it relates to how materials like conductors, insulators or semi-conductors.
But as far as specializations go I can only go into one discipline. I'm trying to avoid mechanical because the job market is flooded with civils and mechs.im trying to avoid any type of manufacturing such as semiconductors because the Chinese produce cheaper chips.

The electric power industry is destined for some business model upheavals. That might mean change of employer, but not change of career.

I think the idea of one job, one employer from college to retirement its obsolete.

anorlunda said:
I think the idea of one job, one employer from college to retirement its obsolete.

Yes that might be I work for a old traditional company but I have been always good there. And my position has changed during the time I work for them. And who knows one day I will go work for another company. But for now I enjoy it and financially it is satisfying. So don't change a wining team.

anorlunda said:
The electric power industry is destined for some business model upheavals. That might mean change of employer, but not change of career.

You're right, companies are very insteady these days. I heard that electrical engineers often have to travel to find work is that true? Where I live I think this might be the case.

Related to Job security for Power Engineers

What is the current job market like for Power Engineers?

The current job market for Power Engineers is stable and growing. The demand for power and energy continues to increase, leading to a need for more qualified engineers. In addition, many experienced Power Engineers are reaching retirement age, creating even more job opportunities.

What is the typical salary range for Power Engineers?

The salary range for Power Engineers can vary depending on factors such as location, experience, and industry. However, on average, Power Engineers can expect to earn between $70,000 to $120,000 per year.

What qualifications are required to become a Power Engineer?

To become a Power Engineer, one typically needs a bachelor's degree in engineering, preferably in a related field such as electrical or mechanical engineering. Additionally, most states require Power Engineers to obtain a license, which involves passing a series of exams.

What are the main job responsibilities of a Power Engineer?

The main job responsibilities of a Power Engineer include designing, developing, and maintaining power systems and equipment, ensuring their safe and efficient operation. They are also responsible for troubleshooting and resolving any issues that may arise within the power system.

What are the future job prospects for Power Engineers?

The future job prospects for Power Engineers look promising. As the demand for energy continues to increase, so will the need for qualified Power Engineers. Additionally, with the rise of renewable energy sources, there will be opportunities for Power Engineers to work on developing and implementing these technologies.