What percentage of a boat is above water when it has a density of 0.75 g/cc?

• Thread starter kazimmerman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Buoyancy
In summary, the conversation discusses the buoyancy of a boat with a density of 0.75 g/cc floating in water. It is determined that the boat is 25% above the surface of the water, with the procedure for solving the problem involving setting up a statics problem with the buoyant force and weight force. The conversation ends with a reference to Archimedes' famous quote.
kazimmerman

Homework Statement

A boat with a density of 0.75 g/cc is floating in water. What percentage of the boat is floating above the surface of the water?

Homework Equations

I don't know any general formulas for buoyancy. I was hoping someone here could provide one.

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that the density of water is 1 g/cc, so is it really as easy as understanding 1-0.75, or is that simply a coincidence. I know the answer is 25% and expected a rather low number due to the rather low density, but what is the exact procedure for solving this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Every cc of boat in the water receives 1cc weight of water worth of pushing up.
So 1g/cc of flotation, if the boat weights 0.75g/cc then you get 0.25g/cc of overall flotation.

That pretty much does it.
It would be clearer if you started with Fg = Fb
where the buoyancy force Fb = (mass of water displaced)*g.
The mass displaced is the density of water times the volume of water displaced.

Draw a block partly submerged in the water, and use that at as a Free Body Diagram. Put the forces on it, a bouyant force and a weight force, and then set up the statics problem. Then work it out as Delphi51 says.

Thanks everybody. That was my line of thinking, but I wanted to be sure I wasn't mistaken.

As Archimedes is supposed to have said in his bath:
"Eureka"

Related to What percentage of a boat is above water when it has a density of 0.75 g/cc?

What is buoyancy?

Buoyancy is the upward force exerted by a fluid (such as water) on an object that is partially or fully submerged in it. It is caused by the difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the object.

How does buoyancy affect ships and boats?

Buoyancy plays a crucial role in keeping ships and boats afloat. The shape and volume of a ship's hull are designed to displace enough water to equal or exceed its weight, creating a balance of forces that keeps it from sinking.

What factors affect the buoyancy of a ship or boat?

The buoyancy of a ship or boat is affected by its density, volume, and shape. The density of the water it is floating in also plays a role, as well as the weight and distribution of the load it is carrying.

Can a ship or boat sink due to changes in buoyancy?

Yes, a ship or boat can sink if its buoyancy is compromised. This can happen if the vessel takes on too much water, causing it to become too heavy to stay afloat. Changes in density, such as through temperature or salinity, can also affect the buoyancy and potentially lead to sinking.

How do engineers ensure that ships and boats have enough buoyancy?

Engineers use calculations and simulations to design ships and boats with the appropriate buoyancy for their intended use. They also take into account factors such as the weight and distribution of cargo, passengers, and equipment to ensure that the vessel will remain stable and afloat.