What path should I take to eventually understand QFT?

• Studying
  • Thread starter z_Positron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Path Qft
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's background in physics and their interest in particle physics and quantum field theory. They inquire about the path one might take in university to learn QFT, and request a textbook reference. The response suggests that a strong understanding of mechanics, electromagnetism, relativity, and quantum mechanics, as well as some basic knowledge of particle physics, is necessary before diving into QFT. They also recommend studying these subjects again at the graduate level, and provide an example of a textbook for further reading. The use of first and second quantization in describing quantum mechanics and quantum field theory is also mentioned.
z_Positron
I'm now graduated as a secondary school educator, having studied a physics minor at university.

During that time, I didn't go any further than second year physics, studying basic quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, and special relativity.

Much of it I've forgotten, however I keep the basics sharp, having to teach it at school.

I'm intrigued by the ideas of particle physics, however I don't think I know enough to fully grasp the concepts behind it.

Could anyone provide a path that one might take through university (with a textbook reference if possible) from first year undergrad up to the level required to begin QFT?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
In condensed matter physics, the language of quantum field theory is used to describe the non-relativistic quantum mechanics of many identical particles.

Non-relativistic quantum mechanics is usually introduced using "first quantized" language, while quantum field theory to describe the non-relativistic quantum mechanics of many identical particles uses "second quantized" language. You can find the translation between the two equivalent descriptions in many textbooks, eg. A Guide to Feynman Diagrams in the Many-Body Problem by Mattuck.

z_Positron said:
I'm intrigued by the ideas of particle physics, however I don't think I know enough to fully grasp the concepts behind it.

Could anyone provide a path that one might take through university (with a textbook reference if possible) from first year undergrad up to the level required to begin QFT?

First of all there is a difference between Elementary Particle Physics (or High Energy Physics) and Quantum Field Theory (QFT), of course. Although there is certain connection and overlapping between them, they both extend beyond each other. Also the former has both Experimental and Theoretical components (divisions or domains), while the latter (QFT) is only theoretical. I think, practically and adequetly enough, one can say that Theoretical Particle Physics (or Theoretical High Energy Physics) is basically almost the same with, or strongly connected to, QFT.

I say these because understanding the structure first (e.g. of what you're about to study) is always very important.

I think the best way is to first study, understand and be good at undergraduate level Mechanics, Electromagnetism, Relativity and Quantum Mechanics, as well as some basic notions of Particle Physics (and Standard Model). At the same time start looking at an introductory level book on Field Theory (Classical and Quantum).
Then you can do them all again at the graduate level, especially if you want to get into research.

I'll give you examples of good textbooks on a later post.

atyy said:
In condensed matter physics, the language of quantum field theory is used to describe the non-relativistic quantum mechanics of many identical particles.
That's not a good idea for introducing Quantum field theory.
atyy said:
"first quantized" , ... , "second quantized"
That's indeed essential, but he will inevitably meet it along the way.
However, what you say about non-relativistic (vs relativistic, I assume) quantum mechanics and quantum field theory is not as essential or requirement to the two types of quantization. E.g. relativistic quantum field theory (e.g. QED) also involves second quantization. Similarly, relativistic quantum mechanics (e.g. Dirac equation ang Klein Gordon equation) also can be looked at in terms of first quantization (for observables), just like the Schrödinger equation.
Thus the textbook that you mention is not introductory to general QFT, but rather specialized, IMO.

Related to What path should I take to eventually understand QFT?

1. What is QFT and why is it important?

Quantum Field Theory (QFT) is a theoretical framework that combines quantum mechanics and special relativity to describe the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. It is important because it has been successful in explaining many phenomena in particle physics and has led to the development of technologies such as transistors and lasers.

2. What are the prerequisites for studying QFT?

To understand QFT, you should have a strong foundation in classical mechanics, special relativity, and quantum mechanics. You should also be familiar with mathematical concepts such as linear algebra, differential equations, and group theory.

3. What is the best way to approach learning QFT?

The best way to learn QFT is to first understand the underlying principles and mathematical concepts. Then, familiarize yourself with the basic principles of QFT, such as the quantization of fields and symmetries. It is also helpful to practice solving problems and working through examples.

4. How long does it take to understand QFT?

The time it takes to understand QFT varies for each individual. Some may grasp the concepts more quickly than others. It also depends on your background knowledge and how much time and effort you are willing to dedicate to studying QFT.

5. Are there any resources that can help with understanding QFT?

Yes, there are many resources available to help with understanding QFT. These include textbooks, online courses, lecture notes, and video tutorials. It is also helpful to attend seminars or workshops on QFT and to join online communities where you can ask questions and discuss concepts with others.