What Parameters Are Needed for 1D Laser Annealing Simulation?

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with understanding the parameters for a program called the simulation of laser interaction with materials. Specifically, they are unsure about the values for delta x, delta x1, delta x2, delta x3, kx, ky, and kz, and are looking for clarification on their significance. They also mention that the thermal conductivity for single crystal silicon can be found on another screen. A demo of the program is available for download.
bonbunsg
Dear all,

I have some problems with a program called the simulation of laser interaction with materials. In this program, they asked for some parameters which I am unsure of but I believe it has something to do with mesh size for simulating the thermal conduction. This is a 1D heat conduction simulation of laser heating on a semiconductor (a.k.a laser annealing).

These are the parameters that have asked for:
=========================================
NUMBER OF NODES 100
DELTA X (A) 200
DELTA X1 (A) 600
DELTA X2 (A) 1600
DELTA X3 (A) 4800
KX 70
KY 80
KZ 90
TOP LAYER NODE (L6) 10
MIDDLE LAYER NODE (L7) 20
=========================================

Can anyone help me with what delta x, delta x1, delta x2, delta x3, kx, ky and kz are for? I am an electrical engineer and knows nothing about all these and there's no help file provided. Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
K typically denotes thermal conductivity (units of W m-1 K-1 in SI). This value has been found to be anisotropic (different in directions Kx, Ky, Kz) for single crystal silicon.

However, there is another screen asking for the thermal conductivity of Si and I have entered in it. So I'm not sure what is kx, ky and kz.

As for the deltax, x1, x2, x3... does anyone have any clue?

A demo of the program can be downloaded from the link below:
http://singh.mse.ufl.edu/SLIMdemo.zip

Related to What Parameters Are Needed for 1D Laser Annealing Simulation?

1. What is laser melting of materials?

Laser melting of materials is a process that uses high-intensity laser beams to melt and fuse together materials, typically metals and alloys. It is commonly used in additive manufacturing, also known as 3D printing, to create complex and customized parts with high precision.

2. How does laser melting work?

In laser melting, a high-power laser beam is directed onto a bed of powdered material, causing it to melt and solidify in a specific pattern. The laser beam is controlled by a computer, which follows a digital design to create the desired shape. The melted material cools and solidifies rapidly, creating a strong bond between the particles.

3. What are the advantages of laser melting?

Laser melting offers several advantages over traditional manufacturing methods. It allows for the creation of complex and intricate designs that would be difficult or impossible to produce with other techniques. It also has a high level of precision, producing parts with minimal defects. Additionally, laser melting is a relatively fast and cost-effective process, as it does not require the use of molds or tooling.

4. What materials can be used in laser melting?

Laser melting is commonly used with metals and alloys, such as titanium, stainless steel, and aluminum. However, it can also be used with other materials, such as ceramics and certain polymers. The material used depends on the specific application and the properties required for the final product.

5. Are there any limitations to laser melting?

While laser melting has many advantages, it also has some limitations. It is typically limited to materials that can be melted and solidified, so some materials may not be suitable for this process. Additionally, the size of the final product is limited by the size of the laser beam and the build chamber. Finally, the cost of equipment and energy for laser melting may be prohibitive for some applications.