What % of PEg must be converted in KE in order to double v?

In summary, the Pendulum is initially at 0.236 m/s and has a gravitational potential energy of 2.836 J. If you double the velocity, the pendulum will have a new potential energy of 0.578 J. 1.5% of the original gravitational potential energy is 0.079 J.
ness8

Homework Statement

What % of PEg must be converted in KE in order to double the speed of a pendulum? So I have spent a couple of days trying to figure out this problem (it's a lab), and I can't seem to figure it out. I have asked my physics teacher about it, and he said the answer to the question is 25% of gravitational potential energy, which does not match my data.

Homework Equations

Not sure if I need to use any equations here, but if so, PEg = KE (mgh = 1/2mv^2).

The Attempt at a Solution

So the initial KE that I'm working with is 0.014 J, the PEg for that value is 2.836 J, and the velocity for that value is 0.236 m/s. If I double the velocity = 2*0.236 m/s = around 0.478 m/s (I'm using 0.478 m/s because it is the next value of my data, so it would be easier to use.) With this new velocity, the KE is 0.057 J. Therefore, I subtract 0.057 J - 0.014 J = 0.043 J. To find the percentage of 2.836 J, I divide 0.043 J/2.836 J = 0.015*100 = 1.5%, NOT 25%. 25% of 2.836 J is 0.709 J, which does not make sense with my data. I know for a fact that what I did was incorrect because if I try 1.5% with other values in my data, it does not get me to the correct values.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps someone else might understand this problem, but I can't see what you experiment involves.

Is the pendulum moving initially?

PeroK said:
Perhaps someone else might understand this problem, but I can't see what you experiment involves.

Is the pendulum moving initially?
My first value for velocity is 0.236 m/s.

ness8 said:
My first value for velocity is 0.236 m/s.

I think you should reread your original post and decide whether anyone not completely familiar with your experiment could figure out what you are trying to do.

Likes Nidum
Could you provide a more complete context for your question and the question exactly as it was given to you? It seems to me you're misinterpreting the question that was asked.

vela said:
Could you provide a more complete context for your question and the question exactly as it was given to you? It seems to me you're misinterpreting the question that was asked.
This is the exact question: What % of PEg must be converted in KE in order to double the speed of the pendulum?

PeroK said:
I think you should reread your original post and decide whether anyone not completely familiar with your experiment could figure out what you are trying to do.
This is the exact question: What % of PEg must be converted in KE in order to double the speed of the pendulum?

Let us try some Q + A .

What type of pendulum ?

A continuous swinging one like in a clock or a single swing type like used in a Charpy impact test ?

300px-Simple_gravity_pendulum.svg.png
A pendulum like this, but with only one swing from left to right.

So it's more like a Charpy pendulum . For the purpose of the question we have to examine a single swing starting with pendulum pulled a certain angle or distance away from vertical position . We progress .

Now - how have you tried to analyse this problem yourself ? Please show us your workings .

Nidum said:
So it's more like a Charpy pendulum . For the purpose of the question we have examine a single swing starting with pendulum pulled a certain angle or distance away from vertical position . We progress .

Now - how have you tried to analyse this problem yourself ? Please show us your workings .
So the initial KE that I'm working with is 0.014 J, the PEg for that value is 2.836 J, and the velocity for that value is 0.236 m/s. If I double the velocity = 2*0.236 m/s = around 0.478 m/s (I'm using 0.478 m/s because it is the next value of my data, so it would be easier to use.) With this new velocity, the KE is 0.057 J. Therefore, I subtract 0.057 J - 0.014 J = 0.043 J. To find the percentage of 2.836 J, I divide 0.043 J/2.836 J = 0.015*100 = 1.5%, NOT 25%. 25% of 2.836 J is 0.709 J, which does not make sense with my data. I know for a fact that what I did was incorrect because if I try 1.5% with other values in my data, it does not get me to the correct values.

Sorry but I don't understand any of that .

Let's try some more Q + A :

What exactly are the initial conditions for the pendulum at the start of the swing ?

Nidum said:
Sorry but I don't understand any of that .

Let's try some more Q + A :

What exactly are the initial conditions for the pendulum at the start of the swing ?
V = 0.236 m/s
KE = 0.014 J
PEg = 2.836 J
Y-pos = 0.579 m

Please explain clearly what your experimental set up is and show your workings in some understandable form .

Otherwise I shall ask the mentors to close this thread .

Related to What % of PEg must be converted in KE in order to double v?

1. What is the relationship between PEg and KE?

The relationship between PEg (potential energy) and KE (kinetic energy) is that PEg is the stored energy an object has due to its position or configuration, while KE is the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

2. How do you calculate the % of PEg converted into KE?

The percentage of PEg converted into KE can be calculated by dividing the change in KE by the initial PEg and multiplying by 100%. This can be represented by the formula: % PEg converted = (KE final - KE initial)/PEg initial x 100%.

3. Is there a specific formula to calculate the % of PEg converted into KE?

Yes, the specific formula to calculate the % of PEg converted into KE is % PEg converted = (KE final - KE initial)/PEg initial x 100%.

4. Can the % of PEg converted into KE vary?

Yes, the % of PEg converted into KE can vary depending on factors such as the initial PEg, the efficiency of the conversion process, and the external forces acting on the object.

5. How would doubling the velocity affect the % of PEg converted into KE?

Doubling the velocity would result in four times the initial KE, as KE is directly proportional to the square of velocity (KE = 1/2 mv^2). This would also result in a higher percentage of PEg getting converted into KE, as the initial PEg remains the same while the final KE is four times larger.