Maximum kinetic energy / cutoff potential problem

In summary, the maximum kinetic energy of the emitted electrons is 7.57 x10-20J and the cutoff potential is 0.47 V. It is possible for the answer to not always be to the -19J, and it is also acceptable to give the answer in eV.
chef99

Homework Statement

Light with a wavelength of 630nm is directed at a metallic surface that has a work function of 1.5 eV. Find:a) The maximum kinetic energy of the emitted electrons.

b) The cutoff potential required to stop the photoelectrons.

Homework Equations

Ek = hc / λ - W

Ek = eVo

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
λ = 630nm = 6.3 x10-7m

W = 1.5eV (1.60x10-19J/eV)

W = 2.4 x10-19JEk = hc / λ - W

Ek = (6.63 x10-34J)(3.0 x108m/s) / (6.3 x10-7m) - 2.4 x10-19JEk = 7.57 x10-20J

The maximum kinetic energy is 7.57 x10-20J.b)

Ek = eVo

7.57 x10-20J = (1.60 x10-19) Vo

Vo = 7.57 x10-20J / (1.60 x10-19)

Vo = 0.47 V

The cutoff is 0.47 V.

I am uncertain if my answer to part a) is correct, I have reviewed all my steps and can't find an error, however, for all of the questions I have done so far, the answer has always been x10-19, whereas my answer here, is 7.57 x10-20J is x10-20. Is this an acceptable answer? Is it possible for it to not always be to the -19J? or did I make an error somewhere in my calculations?

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks right. Let me suggest for future reference that, for problems of this sort, you do your calculations in eV. Then all you have to do is convert the photon energy to eV. In this particular problem, the answers to (a) and (b) are identical in number because the max. kinetic energy of the electrons in eV is the same as the cutoff potential in Volts. You can always convert to Joules in the end if needed. :smile:

Related to Maximum kinetic energy / cutoff potential problem

1. What is maximum kinetic energy / cutoff potential problem?

The maximum kinetic energy / cutoff potential problem is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where electrons in a metal surface are unable to escape when exposed to light with a certain frequency, known as the cutoff frequency. This is due to the fact that the energy of the photons is not high enough to overcome the binding energy of the electrons in the metal.

2. How does this problem affect our understanding of light and electrons?

This problem highlights the wave-particle duality of both light and electrons. Light is able to act as both a wave and a particle, and in this case, it is acting as a particle with quantized energy levels. Electrons, on the other hand, are behaving like waves with discrete energy levels, known as energy bands.

3. What is the significance of the cutoff potential in this problem?

The cutoff potential is the minimum potential that must be applied to the metal surface in order for electrons to be emitted. This potential is directly related to the work function of the metal, which is the minimum energy required for an electron to escape the surface. The cutoff potential allows us to understand the relationship between the energy of the photons and the work function of the metal.

4. How is this problem relevant in modern technology?

The maximum kinetic energy / cutoff potential problem is relevant in various technological applications, such as photovoltaic cells and photoelectric sensors. Understanding the relationship between light and electrons is crucial in the design and development of these devices.

5. Can this problem be solved or overcome?

This problem cannot be completely solved or overcome, as it is a fundamental property of quantum mechanics. However, it can be mitigated by using materials with lower work functions or by increasing the intensity of the incident light, which increases the energy of the photons. Ongoing research and advancements in technology also continue to improve our understanding and ability to manipulate this phenomenon.