What muscles affect the velocity of a thrown object and how can they be trained?

• Thread starter jay f
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, Jay is working on a project to increase the velocity of a thrown object. He's hypothesizing that velocity is based on the angular velocity of the arm and that there are muscles in the human body that directly impact the speed of the arm. He also notes that velocity is determined by various physical factors, such as the type of pitching being performed. Finally, Jay says that there is no one-size-fits-all answer to increasing velocity, and that it will depend on the individual.
jay f
hi guys. first time poster here.

working on a project for increasing the velocity of a thrown object, i.e. a baseball pitcher throwing a ball to home plate. what I'm trying to figure out is based on the following hypothesis:

velocity of a thrown object = angular velocity of the human arm (i.e. the faster your arm goes the faster the object goes)

based on that, I'm trying to figure out what muscles in the human body directly corelate to, or have a direct impact on, the speed at which a human can throw an object.

finally, and most importantly, what is the best way to 'train' those muscles to go faster, thus increasing the velocity at which the object can be thrown?

some background; I'm a youth sports coach with an engineering degree and physics background. I'm trying to apply biophysics to help improve my pitchers' velocity at which they throw. I've tried the traditional methods that are tossed around in the sports world, weight lifting, cardio, rubber band exercises, pushups, weighted balls (throwing a heavy ball) and none of them work. curious if this community has any insight?

thanks!

jay

Physics news on Phys.org
jay f said:
hi guys. first time poster here.

working on a project for increasing the velocity of a thrown object, i.e. a baseball pitcher throwing a ball to home plate. what I'm trying to figure out is based on the following hypothesis:

velocity of a thrown object = angular velocity of the human arm (i.e. the faster your arm goes the faster the object goes)

based on that, I'm trying to figure out what muscles in the human body directly corelate to, or have a direct impact on, the speed at which a human can throw an object.

finally, and most importantly, what is the best way to 'train' those muscles to go faster, thus increasing the velocity at which the object can be thrown?

some background; I'm a youth sports coach with an engineering degree and physics background. I'm trying to apply biophysics to help improve my pitchers' velocity at which they throw. I've tried the traditional methods that are tossed around in the sports world, weight lifting, cardio, rubber band exercises, pushups, weighted balls (throwing a heavy ball) and none of them work. curious if this community has any insight?

thanks!

jay

Welcome to the PF, Jay. :-)

It's more than just the angular velocity of the arm that imparts the velocity to the ball. There are at least two other factors that I can think of offhand... What are your thoughts?

leg drive, head wind...many others.

i guess the bottom line question is, what muscles determine how fast the arm goes and how can we make it go faster?

It will also depend upon which kind of pitching you mean. I'm assuming "hardball", but I don't know for sure. Personally, I was a softball pitcher. Due to what I can only assume is the the physical structure of my shoulders, although I don't know how mine are mutated, I simply can't throw overhand because my arms won't move that way. This seems to be the only instance in which I'm different than anyone else. I could easily break 100 kph with an underhand windmill pitch, though.
My best catcher could throw a softball overhand over the centre field fence from home plate. I won't tell you what his trick was until you've exhausted your investigation.

I'm sure technique has a lot to do with it. I suppose flicking the wrist and elbow at the right moment will add a lot.

Related to What muscles affect the velocity of a thrown object and how can they be trained?

1. What is the definition of velocity?

Velocity is a measure of an object's speed and direction. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

2. How is velocity different from speed?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity also takes into account the direction of the movement. Therefore, an object can have the same speed but different velocities if they are moving in different directions.

3. How is the velocity of a thrown object calculated?

The velocity of a thrown object can be calculated by dividing the displacement (change in position) by the time it took to travel that distance. This is represented by the equation v = Δx/Δt, where v is velocity, Δx is displacement, and Δt is time.

4. What factors affect the velocity of a thrown object?

The velocity of a thrown object can be affected by the initial speed at which it is thrown, the angle at which it is thrown, and external factors such as air resistance and gravity. These factors can either increase or decrease the object's velocity.

5. Why is the velocity of a thrown object important to understand?

The velocity of a thrown object is important to understand because it allows us to predict the object's motion and trajectory. This can be useful in sports, engineering, and other fields where understanding the movement of objects is crucial.