How Do You Calculate the Velocity of a Ball Thrown from a Moving Train?

In summary, the velocity of the ball when it hits the car is 12 m/s [E49N]. This may seem like a strange result, but it is a valid solution based on the given information. The key to solving this problem was breaking down the velocities into their x and y components and then adding them together.
leafsfan2

Homework Statement

A man on a moving train throws a ball at a parked car. Find velocity of the ball when it hits the car if:
train is moving 21 m/s North East;
the man is walking 3.0 m/s [E35S] (relative to train)
ball is thrown 10.0 m/s [W22S] (relative to man)

Homework Equations

VBG = VBM + VMT + VTG
(B=ball, M=man, T=train, G=ground)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to do it if they were all either North or south, but the different directions with the angles confuses me. I've done a bunch of practice questions with only 2 other relative motions (Vxy=Vxz+Vzy), where I use trigonometry to solve for the resultant, but I don't know how to solve it with three relative motions solving for the fourth. I attempted to use trig, but got nowhere with it, and I'm assuming that's not what I should use. My guess is that I should use components? But so far all I wrote was this:
VBG = VBM + VMT + VTG

Physics news on Phys.org
You use trig to find the components, don't you?

I take it that E35S means 35° South of due East, etc.

Just find the x-component & y-component for each velocity vector & add them. Then find the magnitude & direction of the resultant. (Usually the positive x-axis points East, & the positive y=axis points North.)

The result looks to me like it will be pretty strange. Also the person throwing the ball must be a contortionist and left handed.

Last edited:
Components completely slipped my mind. Thank you, it worked. I got 12m/s [E49N] so that does sound a bit odd but it's just a random question so I'm sure it doesn't matter if it's realistic

Yes, that's a reasonable answer.

The train is moving at more than twice the speed he throws the ball, and he throws the ball in nearly the opposite direction of the train's motion.

Vx = 10.0cos22 - 3.0sin35 + 21cos45
Vy = -10.0sin22 + 3.0cos35 + 21sin45

To solve this problem, we first need to break down the velocities into their x and y components. Using the given information, we can calculate the x and y components of the ball's velocity (VBx and VBy) as well as the man's velocity (VMx and VMy) relative to the ground.

VBx = 10.0cos22 - 3.0sin35
VBy = -10.0sin22 + 3.0cos35
VMx = 3.0cos35 + 21cos45
VMy = 3.0sin35 + 21sin45

Next, we can use the relative motion equation VBG = VBM + VMT + VTG to find the velocity of the ball relative to the ground (VBG).

VBGx = VBx + VMx
VBGx = 10.0cos22 - 3.0sin35 + 3.0cos35 + 21cos45
VBGx = 10.0cos22 + 21.0cos45
VBGx = 26.4 m/s

VBGy = VBy + VMy
VBGy = -10.0sin22 + 3.0cos35 + 3.0sin35 + 21sin45
VBGy = -10.0sin22 + 24.9
VBGy = 14.9 m/s

Finally, we can use the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the magnitude and direction of the ball's velocity when it hits the car.

VBG = √(VBGx² + VBGy²)
VBG = √(26.4² + 14.9²)
VBG = 30.4 m/s

θ = tan⁻¹(VBGy/VBGx)
θ = tan⁻¹(14.9/26.4)
θ = 30.5°

Therefore, the velocity of the ball when it hits the car is 30.4 m/s at an angle of 30.5° below the horizontal.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Velocity of a Ball Thrown from a Moving Train?

1. What is relative motion?

Relative motion is the motion of an object in relation to another object. It is the measurement of the distance and direction between two objects that are moving.

2. How is relative motion different from absolute motion?

Relative motion takes into account the motion of two objects in relation to each other, while absolute motion refers to the motion of an object in relation to a fixed point or frame of reference.

3. What is the concept of frame of reference in relative motion?

A frame of reference is a set of coordinates and axes used to describe the position and motion of an object. It is used as a reference point to measure the relative motion of other objects.

4. How is relative motion used in physics?

Relative motion is used in physics to understand the movement of objects in relation to each other and to analyze the forces and energy involved in their motion.

5. Can relative motion be affected by external factors?

Yes, relative motion can be affected by external factors such as friction, air resistance, and gravity. These factors can alter the speed, direction, and acceleration of an object in relation to another object.