What math classes are need for this

• Thread starter strings235
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Classes
In summary, any branch of physics will require some level of calculus and differential equations, and depending on what you're studying, other mathematics subjects might also be necessary.
strings235
hey guys,

I was just wondering what courses in applied mathematics are needed for physics.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I imagine any branch of physics will make heavy use of calculus and differential equations, and probably linear algebra. What kinds of mathematics you'll be utilizing depends on what you're studying, but the happy/sad news is that the more math you know the better.

The standard assumption is Linear Algebra, a complete Calculus sequence (including multivarate), and Differential Equations.

From what I have actually seen in my upper division course load taking courses on the following math subjects are also useful:

Differential Geometry, Tensor Anaylisis, Complex Anaylisis/Boundry Value Problems, Calculus of Variations, a course on Waves/Oscillations from a math department (if offered), and an applied group theory course.

A few stats courses, like ones designed for science and engineering majors and/or some numerical methods courses (my math department splits them between math and stats pretty evenly, so I don't know where one would like to place it).

However, as I said before the first list is likely the only required mathematics course work in physics, the rest are just good subjects to pick up on the way.

I'd also recommend a course in fractal geometry in addition to those above.

from my experience as an undergrad, it seems like you can get by at the undergraduate level with just your calc sequence, elementary differential equations, and linear algebra. taking courses on complex variables and numerical analysis might be a good idea, too.

(some graduate level courses in physics seem to assume some experience with contour integrals--in the grad qm class i took last fall, we needed to either recall or look up the integral of sinx/x from -infinity to +infinity. the numerical analysis class i took didn't have useful material, per se, but it helped me solidify my scientific computing skills.)

Related to What math classes are need for this

What math classes are needed for this?

The specific math classes needed for any scientific field may vary, but in general, a strong foundation in algebra, geometry, and calculus is essential. Depending on the specific area of science, additional math classes such as statistics, differential equations, or linear algebra may also be required.

Do I need to be good at math to be a scientist?

While a strong understanding of math is important in many scientific fields, it is not the only factor that determines success as a scientist. Other skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and creativity are also crucial. Additionally, there are many areas of science where math is not the primary focus, so it is possible to be a successful scientist without being a math expert.

Can I take math classes in college if I didn't do well in high school?

Yes, it is possible to improve your math skills in college even if you struggled with it in high school. Many colleges offer remedial or introductory math courses for students who need to strengthen their foundation before moving on to more advanced classes. Additionally, with hard work and dedication, anyone can improve their math skills with practice and support from teachers and tutors.

Which math classes are most important for a career in science?

The most important math classes for a career in science will depend on the specific field you are interested in. For example, a biologist may benefit from statistics and calculus, while a physicist may need advanced algebra and calculus. It is important to research the requirements for your desired career and take the appropriate math classes to prepare yourself.

Can I use a calculator in math classes for science?

The use of calculators in math classes for science may vary depending on the specific course and instructor. Some courses may allow the use of calculators for certain calculations, while others may require students to show their work by hand. It is important to follow the guidelines set by your instructor and use calculators responsibly, as they are meant to assist in problem-solving, not replace it.