Mousetrap car design and materials

In summary, a user is seeking advice on building a mousetrap car for a physics class, but has not found helpful information in previous threads. They are looking for suggestions on materials and design, specifically for a three wheel design. Another user suggests using the threat of the mousetrap to force mice into slave labor to power the car. A third user shares their idea of using a flywheel to minimize wheel spin and improve distance traveled. The user also mentions the idea of using a clockwork mechanism for even greater performance. The ultimate goal of the project is not specified.
GreenRoxz
Hello,

I am building a mousetrap car for my physics class. I have looked at other threads for the best materials and designs but none of them have helped me much.
I was wondering if anyone could give me something new to work with.

I would like to have a three wheel design but my main problem is that I do not know what are the best materials. If anyone could name a few specific items I would be forever grateful.

Stay real, Stay True

Engineering news on Phys.org
I''ll give you the same advice that I give to everyone else who pops in with this question. Use the threat of the mousetrap to force the mice into slave labour and make them pull your car.

GreenRoxz said:
I am building a mousetrap car for my physics class. I have looked at other threads for the best materials and designs but none of them have helped me much.
I was wondering if anyone could give me something new to work with.

Hi GreenRoxz, http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

I have nil experience with building mousetrap cars, but the ones I´ve constructed in my mind all suffer from a common problem: wheel spin.

So to minimize this, I provide the car with a flywheel, arranging for the flywheel to absorb the energy from the spring and release it at a slower measured rate to the rear wheels. With this improvement, the imaginary car travels far. :-p A clockwork mechanism built around the spring might be even more impressive. :smile: Is the ultimate goal to maximize distance of travel, or to maximize top speed?

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Mousetrap car design and materials

1. What materials are commonly used to build a mousetrap car?

The most commonly used materials for building a mousetrap car are a wooden base, plastic wheels, axles, and a mousetrap. Other materials that may be used include rubber bands, straws, and cardboard for extra support or decoration.

2. How can I improve the design of my mousetrap car for better performance?

To improve the design of your mousetrap car, you can experiment with different wheel sizes, placement of the mousetrap, and weight distribution. Adding additional rubber bands or using a lighter material for the base can also help increase speed and distance.

3. What is the best way to attach the wheels to the axles?

The most secure way to attach the wheels to the axles is by using hot glue, as it provides a strong bond. However, you can also use other materials such as tape or screws to attach the wheels, just make sure they are securely in place and able to rotate freely.

4. How can I make my mousetrap car turn or go in a specific direction?

To make your mousetrap car turn or go in a specific direction, you can add a steering mechanism such as a rudder or front wheels that can pivot. You can also experiment with the placement of the wheels and the weight distribution to control the direction of the car.

5. Is there a limit to how many rubber bands can be used on a mousetrap car?

There is no specific limit to the number of rubber bands that can be used on a mousetrap car. However, adding too many rubber bands can make the car too heavy and decrease its overall performance. It is important to find the right balance between the number of rubber bands and the weight of the car.