What makes a planet habitable?

In summary, a planet is considered habitable if it has certain conditions that can support life. These conditions include having a stable and suitable atmosphere, a steady source of energy, and a suitable temperature range that allows for liquid water to exist on the surface. Other factors that contribute to a planet's habitability include the presence of essential elements, a protective magnetic field, and a stable orbit around its host star. Additionally, the planet's distance from its star and the presence of other planets in the same system can also impact its habitability. Overall, a combination of various factors must be present for a planet to be considered habitable for potential life forms.
JGHunter
I am more of a budding (sorry) botanist / plant scientist, but I have an interest in astrophysics, how planets came to be the way they are and how this can help us understand what makes a habitable planet. I'm also starting something of a novel regarding a failing terraformed utopia. I won't bore with the details here but most of my questions will probably be regarding planetary sciences!

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Likes JGHunter