What lies left of a random number on a line of integers

But in summary, it is not possible to choose a random number from an infinite set with equal probability. This is because any valid probability measure on an infinite set must assign infinite mass to the whole set, which is not allowed. Therefore, the concept of "the position of a random number" on a number line made of integers is not well-defined.
Tomon
When I pick a random number on a number line made out of integers, starting from zero and expanding infinite to the right, what can I say about the position of this random number ?
To the right the amount of numbers is infinite.
To the left is an amount, a number, so that is finite, but it has an ´almost´ infinite big chance of being the biggest number ever. (and of course if could also be, for example, 103 or a googolplexian, but there is an almost infinite small chance it will be that small...).

Does that make sense ? Please comment on this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tomon said:
When I pick a random number on a number line made out of integers, starting from zero and expanding infinite to the right, what can I say about the position of this random number ?
To the left is an amount, a number, so that is finite, but it has an ´almost´ infinite big chance of being the biggest number ever. (and of course if could also be, for example, 103 or a googolplexian, but there is an almost infinite small chance it will be that small...).

You have to start by setting up a correct probability model. The sample space ##\Omega := \mathbb{Z}_+##, the set of non-negative integers. The collection ##\mathcal{A}## of events ("measurable subsets of ##\Omega##") is simply the power set of ##\Omega##, so ##\mathcal{A} := 2^{\Omega}##. Now, concerning the probability measure, there is no such measure that assigns equal probability to all non-negative integers, because that measure would assign infinite mass to ##\Omega## itself. Indeed, any valid probability measure ##P## on ##\mathcal{A}## assigns to a singleton ##k \in \Omega## the probability ##p_k \in [0,1]## in such a way that
$$
\text{probability of occurrence of event } E = P(E) = \sum_{k \in E}{p_k}, \qquad P(\Omega) = 1
$$
An example is the often encountered Poisson distribution, for which ##p_k := e^{-\lambda}\frac{\lambda^k}{k!}## for ##k \in \Omega##, where ##\lambda > 0## is a fixed parameter. So, given any admissible ##P## ,
  • the probability of finding exactly the number ##m## is ##p_m \in [0,1]##,
  • the probability of finding a number ##\le m## is simply ##\sum_{k=0}^m{p_k} < \infty##,
  • the probability of finding a number ##> m## is ##\sum_{k=m+1}^{\infty}{p_k} < \infty##.
All these probabilities are finite.

Last edited:
Likes Samy_A
Tomon said:

When people say "pick a random number" it is usually implied of picking a number from a set, with equal probability of choosing any number. It is impossible to do this with an infinite set. Assuming that it is possible leads to a contradiction, which is what you seem to be wrestling with.

Hornbein said:
When people say "pick a random number" it is usually implied of picking a number from a set, with equal probability of choosing any number. It is impossible to do this with an infinite set. Assuming that it is possible leads to a contradiction, which is what you seem to be wrestling with.

Thanks for your reply. The problem came up for me because I was thinking about the possibility the universe is in an infinite loop of expanding and contracting
(the closed model) since the first time ´once´ in the ´past´ . Looking at this theory, I was thinking about the number of times the universe would have expanded and contracted before our existence in this cycle. That is, as I concluded, the same as choosing a random number on a line of integers, so a came up with the idea the chance is very high it is a very large number.

Tomon said:
Thanks for your reply.
You are welcome...

Related to What lies left of a random number on a line of integers

1. What is a random number on a line of integers?

A random number on a line of integers is a number that is chosen at random from a set of consecutive whole numbers. For example, on a line of integers from 1 to 10, a random number could be 7 or 3 or any other number between 1 and 10.

2. How is a random number on a line of integers generated?

A random number on a line of integers can be generated using a computer program or a random number generator tool. These tools use mathematical algorithms to generate a sequence of random numbers within a given range.

3. What determines the position of a random number on a line of integers?

The position of a random number on a line of integers is determined by the range of numbers and the method used to generate the random number. For example, if the range is from 1 to 10 and the random number is generated using a computer program, the position of the number can be anywhere between 1 and 10.

4. What is the significance of the position of a random number on a line of integers?

The position of a random number on a line of integers does not hold any significance. It is simply a representation of the number's location on the line of integers. However, the position of a number can be used to compare its value to other numbers on the line.

5. Can a random number be generated on a line of integers with non-consecutive numbers?

Yes, a random number can be generated on a line of integers with non-consecutive numbers. This can be achieved by using a custom range for the numbers, such as 1 to 100 with a step size of 5. In this case, the random number can be any multiple of 5 between 1 and 100.