About control random variables

In summary, the conversation discusses the development of a computer game where a point randomly moves within a bound region and the number of steps it takes to reach a certain location is recorded. The point can only move forward and the steps are limited to a finite set of positive numbers. The conversation then explores the possibility of finding a distribution of random variables that will result in a high chance of the point landing near a specified location within a certain number of movements. This could be solved using maximum likelihood estimation or optimization algorithms, but the success rate may vary depending on the size of the neighborhood and the chosen probabilities. Another approach could be using expected value and independent random variables, or setting it up as a Markov chain.
KFC
Hi all,
I am developing a very simple computer game to randomly move a point to on a bound region and check how many steps it takes to have the point landing to a certain place. To make it simple, I assume it is a 1D problem, the point could start on origin or any location on positive x axis. The point can only sit in or move to a site of integer coordinate. Also, the point can only move forward and steps to move is limited to a finite set of positive numbers including zero.

STEPS = {0, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 12, 13, ...}

So for each movement, the point is either not moving or move forward by a certain steps. If we assume the step is randomly picked from above set, and maximum N movements could be made, it is easy to estimate the most likely position that the point will land on after N movements. But what I am thinking is if we would like the movement is randomly picked and we desired the point will have very high chance to land on neighbor of a specified location in specified N movements, is it possible to find a distribution of those random variable to satisfy this? I wonder if there is any theory or research about this inverse problem. For small set, what I can do is to use computer to search all possible combination to approach the location in desired movements. But for larger set, it takes forever to do so.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
KFC said:
Hi all,
I am developing a very simple computer game to randomly move a point to on a bound region and check how many steps it takes to have the point landing to a certain place. To make it simple, I assume it is a 1D problem, the point could start on origin or any location on positive x axis. The point can only sit in or move to a site of integer coordinate. Also, the point can only move forward and steps to move is limited to a finite set of positive numbers including zero.

STEPS = {0, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 12, 13, ...}

So for each movement, the point is either not moving or move forward by a certain steps. If we assume the step is randomly picked from above set, and maximum N movements could be made, it is easy to estimate the most likely position that the point will land on after N movements. But what I am thinking is if we would like the movement is randomly picked and we desired the point will have very high chance to land on neighbor of a specified location in specified N movements, is it possible to find a distribution of those random variable to satisfy this? I wonder if there is any theory or research about this inverse problem. For small set, what I can do is to use computer to search all possible combination to approach the location in desired movements. But for larger set, it takes forever to do so.

You're basically asking for a maximum-likelihood estimation of some parameter(s) on a graph. This can be tackled using various methods.

If you are not familiar with MLE, I recommend taking a look first at Wikipedia for MLE (Maximum Likelihood Estimation).

KFC said:
For small set, what I can do is to use computer to search all possible combination to approach the location in desired movements. But for larger set, it takes forever to do so

Brute force searching and brute force algorithms in general can work in a more or less acceptable way for small sets, but for anything larger you need some specific optimization algorithm(s). I recommend taking a look here about MLE with some examples and also at Statlect. Also, there is a good article from Harvard for a more advanced situation of exponential random graph models.

Last edited:
KFC said:
But what I am thinking is if we would like the movement is randomly picked and we desired the point will have very high chance to land on neighbor of a specified location in specified N movements
How large is that neighborhood? How large are your typical numbers?

This looks like a standard optimization problem (fit free parameters to maximize some value that depends on those parameters), but I'm a bit worried about the parameter landscape if the neighborhood is too small. You can have several strong local optimal parameter values, and finding the global optimum could be tricky and need many runs of the optimization.

As an example, let's try to reach 30 exactly in 4 steps, where STEPS = {0,7,8,10}. There are just two options: 0,10,10,10 and 7,7,8,8 (order is free of course). The probabilities "50% for 7 and 8, 0% for 0 and 10" lead to 6/16=0.375 success chance, and every small change of those numbers will make it worse. It is not the optimal choice, however: the probabilities "25% for 0, 75% for 10, 0% for 7 and 8" lead to a success chance of 27/64 = 0.422.

OPs question isn't totally clear to me. If N iterations is large, and each iteration is independent, I have a few different ideas. The gist of it is to use the expected value and i.i.d. random variables. You can use chernoff bounds with respect to the neighborhood around the mean.

(Alternatively you could probably set this up as a markov chain and play around with eigenvalues with magnitude less than one, though this would probably be more trouble than its worth.)

1. What is a control random variable?

A control random variable is a variable that is held constant or controlled for in a scientific experiment in order to isolate and measure the effects of other variables on the outcome. It serves as a baseline for comparison and helps to reduce the influence of confounding variables.

2. How is a control random variable chosen?

A control random variable is typically chosen based on its relevance to the research question and its ability to minimize the impact of other variables on the outcome. It should be a variable that is known to have little or no effect on the outcome of the experiment.

3. Why is it important to have a control random variable in an experiment?

A control random variable is important because it allows for a more accurate assessment of the true effect of the independent variable on the outcome. By controlling for other variables, researchers can better determine if any observed changes are truly due to the independent variable or if they are influenced by other factors.

4. Can a control random variable change during an experiment?

No, a control random variable should remain constant throughout the experiment. If it were to change, it could introduce bias and disrupt the validity of the experiment's results.

5. How is a control random variable different from an independent variable?

A control random variable is held constant or controlled for in an experiment, while an independent variable is intentionally manipulated by the researcher. The control random variable serves as a baseline for comparison, while the independent variable is what is being tested for its effect on the outcome.