What legacy did Michael Crichton leave behind?

• News
  • Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rip
In summary, Michael Crichton, best known for his works "Jurassic Park," "The Andromeda Strain," "Sphere," and "Rising Sun," passed away at the age of 66 after a private battle with cancer. He was also the creator of the popular TV show "ER." Crichton's books often delved into cautionary science and he was credited with sparking an interest in physics for one reader. He will be remembered as a great writer and a medical doctor.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
'Jurassic Park' author, 'ER' creator Crichton dies :frown:
http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/books/11/05/obit.crichton/index.html
LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- Michael Crichton, who helped create the TV show "ER" and wrote the best-sellers "Jurassic Park," "The Andromeda Strain," "Sphere" and "Rising Sun," has died in Los Angeles, his public relations firm said in a news release.

Crichton died unexpectedly Tuesday "after a courageous and private battle against cancer," the release said.

He was 66.

Crichton, a medical doctor, was attracted to cautionary science tales.

. . . .
The Andromeda Strain was the first Crichton book I read as a kid.

Physics news on Phys.org
that's a bummer, he wasn't even old, yet

His book Timeline sucked, but in it he talks about the two slit experiment. I got interested in that so I went online and looked up physics and found physics forums. So if you want to blame anyone blame him.

"Sphere" was good

WHAT? no...thats a huge bummer for Sci Fi, etc.

binzing said:
WHAT? no...thats a huge bummer for Sci Fi, etc.

Yea, Arthur C. Clarke, and Kurt Vonnegut went recently.

I know...just hoping Bradbury doesn't go next...

Damn... That's too bad.

I read his last book Next about genetic engineering and gene therapy. I wonder if he researched all the material in the book due to his own health problems.

Very interesting criticism of Environmentalism.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got home from my pool match, put on the CTV news, and the first thing that came on was the notification of his death. I can't say that he was a great man, or otherwise praise something that I know nothing about, but he was a great writer. As with Astro, I read 'The Andromeda Strain' when I was still a child. I think that it came out about the same time as 'Binary' and 'Zero Cool', which I also have... but the intelligence and scientific believability behind his stories set him apart. He will be missed.

That's very sad. A truly great mind not only for SF or ER. Much of his work will only be appreciated in a decade or two.

I enjoyed his work very much. Sad to hear that he passed. Funny, I had no idea that he was a medical doctor.

Related to What legacy did Michael Crichton leave behind?

1. Who was Michael Crichton?

Michael Crichton was an American author, physician, and filmmaker, best known for his science fiction and thriller novels such as "Jurassic Park" and "The Andromeda Strain". He also created the hit television series "ER".

2. When did Michael Crichton pass away?

Michael Crichton passed away on November 4, 2008, at the age of 66, after a private battle with cancer.

3. What was Michael Crichton's most famous book?

Michael Crichton's most famous book is "Jurassic Park", which was published in 1990 and later adapted into a blockbuster film directed by Steven Spielberg.

4. Did Michael Crichton write any non-fiction books?

Yes, Michael Crichton also wrote several non-fiction books, including "Travels", which documented his experiences and reflections on his career as a writer and filmmaker, and "Five Patients", which explored the American healthcare system.

5. How did Michael Crichton's death impact the literary world?

Michael Crichton's death was a loss to the literary world, as he was a prolific and influential writer who had a unique ability to blend science and technology with suspense and entertainment. His legacy continues to inspire and influence writers and readers alike.

Back