What kinds of vegetables are fatty and high in protein?

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Protein
In summary, Hester is getting very old and is in the final stages of her life. She can only eat soft mushy foods due to her worn down teeth, so we've been feeding her a diet that consists of grapes (skinned), bananas, baby food, and cheerios soaked in water. We've been worried that she isn't getting enough fat and protein, so we've been considering ways to boost her intake. We're thinking about soy beans and avocados, but are also looking into eggs, peanut butter, and hummus. Hester loves all of her food, but we're weary of her not having had meat and chicken before. We're also worried about her arthritis, and
Saladsamurai
Hey folks :smile:

My girlfriend and I have a pet hairless rat named Hester. She is getting quite old and is in the final stages of her life. She can only eat soft mushy foods since her teeth have become quite worn down. We have been feeding her a diet that consists of grapes (skinned), bananas, baby food and cheerios soaked in water (to make sure she stays hydrated).

I would like to make sure that she is getting enough fat and protein since she is getting skinnier by the day, even though she is still eating. Our vet says this is normal, but I would still like a healthy way to boost her fat and protein intake.

I am thinking there should be some good beans out there that are high in protein and fat. Any recommendations? I do not know what constitutes as "high fat" for a vegetable. Is 1g (per human serving size) a lot?

Any recommendations? They mushier the better! Nothing grainy, like peanuts or nuts as I cannot get them to a smooth consistency in the blender (yes, I have tried!).

Thanks!

And here is picture of Hester when she was younger so you know how cute she is!

photo.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
aww, bless you Hester!

Can she tolerate milk products? That might be a way to get more fat into her diet.

Soy beans and avocados? Can't you give her canned cat food? Cute picture!

Yea, as Monique mentioned, avocados are very high in protein and fat
100g (3.5oz) serving
Fat Content: 14.66 g
Saturated Fats: 2.13 g
Protein: 2 g
Although I suspect the rat won't have 100 g servings.

Monique said:
Can you find a way to mix natural peanut butter into food for her?

Monique said:
I am weary of giving her meat and chicken products since she has never had them. I know that rats are supposed to be able to eat anything, but is it different for "domesticated" rats? Has the domestication process even had time to effect rat's digestive system? Probably not eh?

Evo said:
aww, bless you Hester!

Can she tolerate milk products? That might be a way to get more fat into her diet.

We have given her cheese, so it is likely. I was thinking of getting her some of those Ensure shakes for older folks. The supplementary ones.

Evo said:
Can you find a way to mix natural peanut butter into food for her?

It might be too sticky for her. I know my dog even has trouble eating peanut butter. Though I suppose if I mix the proportions well enough, it would be fine.

Saladsamurai said:
I am weary of giving her meat and chicken products since she has never had them. I know that rats are supposed to be able to eat anything, but is it different for "domesticated" rats? Has the domestication process even had time to effect rat's digestive system? Probably not eh?
A vegetarian rat, eh? :biggrin: I wouldn't give her too much cat food, if she hasn't had it before. I think it can be heavy on the kidneys and since she is already old..

Soybeans are a good option, you should be able to find them in asian stores. If you don't find fresh/dried ones, you can also try tofu or tempeh. Evo's suggestion of peanut butter is good as well, just water it down to a more liquidly form so that it doesn't stick anymore.

How about eggs, like scrambled eggs?

She loves the avacadoes! :!) I wish there was a way to alleviate her arthritis. Poor thing :frown: She is aging just like a human would, except in fast forward.

buy raw peanuts and boil them.

you could also make hummus.

Proton Soup said:
buy raw peanuts and boil them.

you could also make hummus.

She loves hummus too! But, it was store bought that I happen to have. I do have a can of chick peas I could blend up. By the way, what does boiling the raw peanuts do? Just soften them up so I can puree them? I might try that. Seems like it would be less "sticky" than store-bought peanut butter.

Saladsamurai said:
She loves hummus too! But, it was store bought that I happen to have. I do have a can of chick peas I could blend up. By the way, what does boiling the raw peanuts do? Just soften them up so I can puree them? I might try that. Seems like it would be less "sticky" than store-bought peanut butter.

the peanuts will be a lot softer than roasted nuts. maybe she could chew them? I'm not sure how they would puree.

Proton soup sounds delicious... I'm just kidding.

it's got a bit of a bite to it (srs)

Hmmm... Boil the peanuts, but don't puree... instead, mash them... it'll be less sticky.

You could also make a pastiche of cheese, avocado, and the peanut mixture... remember, it's still going to taste fantastic to your little friend.

I don't know how well it works, but you could probably include some minute quantity of painkiller in the chow... and it just so happens:

http://ratguide.com/meds/nsaids/ibuprofen.php
or in general:

http://ratguide.com/meds/

btw, cute little rat!

edit: How about mashed lentils mixed with mashed chickpeas?

Last edited:
Saladsamurai said:
She loves the avacadoes! :!) I wish there was a way to alleviate her arthritis. Poor thing :frown: She is aging just like a human would, except in fast forward.
Yeah! :biggrin: She has some good owners looking after her. You can try dietary supplements of glucosamine and chondroitin to alleviate her arthritis.

Monique said:
Yeah! :biggrin: She has some good owners looking after her. You can try dietary supplements of glucosamine and chondroitin to alleviate her arthritis.

This rat definitely hit the karmic jackpot, so to speak.

I was going to say the same thing as the others. Avocados are high in fat and are a good wonder food, full of nutrients.

If you are concerned about protein, you can try adding some protein powder in the food. You can buy soy based protein powders at most health food stores.

Lots of soy products available now... soy cheeses, soy meats, veggie burgers, soy yogurts, etc., right there along with the tofu and tempeh. For a little extra fat, add a little olive oil to the meal. Olive oil is a healthy fat... at least for humans.

Saladsamurai said:
We have given her cheese...

Yeah, why not cheese? Aren't these critters known to eat lots of cheese (in cartoons anyway)? There are so many varieties with varying protein/fat ratios.

Hester's really cute... reminds me of a mouse i wanted to pet..!

nismaratwork said:
edit: How about mashed lentils mixed with mashed chickpeas?

I'm partial to split-pea soup. Mushier.

But the chickpeas sound appetising.

How's Hester doing these days? The picture is really cute. I've not seen a hairless rat before. I love their little pink feet.

GeorginaS said:
How's Hester doing these days? The picture is really cute. I've not seen a hairless rat before. I love their little pink feet.

She's actually doing quite well! She is definitely not walking so great and is quite lethargic at times, but she is doing much better. We thought she was not going to make it for awhile there. Fortunately we realized that her teeth had worn down and she could not eat and that it wasn't that she would not eat. We have been taking her traditional dry food and soaking it in hot water and then running it in the blender. We also give her an avocado/banana blend at least twice a week. She can't really see, so we mix a lot of water with her foods so she stays hydrated. Every once and a while she seems to be getting 'old quickly' but then we give her the avocado blend and she is good as new! I'll try to upload some different photos of her!

Saladsamurai said:
She's actually doing quite well! She is definitely not walking so great and is quite lethargic at times, but she is doing much better. We thought she was not going to make it for awhile there. Fortunately we realized that her teeth had worn down and she could not eat and that it wasn't that she would not eat. We have been taking her traditional dry food and soaking it in hot water and then running it in the blender. We also give her an avocado/banana blend at least twice a week. She can't really see, so we mix a lot of water with her foods so she stays hydrated. Every once and a while she seems to be getting 'old quickly' but then we give her the avocado blend and she is good as new! I'll try to upload some different photos of her!
I am so happy to hear she's eating well, that's a good sign!

You make such a good rat daddy!

Evo said:
I am so happy to hear she's eating well, that's a good sign!

You make such a good rat daddy!

Lol...fantastic...:smile:...

as touching as this is, rats kind of squick me.

This morning, as the sun rose, our dearest rat Hester passed quietly into eternal rest. In the evening, as we returned her to the Earth,
the ominous clouds parted for but a moment as the Sun peered out one last time before setting, as if to remind us that it was still there.
She was buried in a pine box alongside flowers and an avocado. Sleep well my sweet princess.

IMG_1317_copy.jpg

:cry: Sorry to hear it...oh this really makes me sad. It's so sweet how you did what you could to improve her quality of life.

:cry: Oh no! I was thinking oh her just last night, wondering how she was doing. At least she ate very well the last few days and felt very loved. Aww, I love that you buried her with an avocado.

I'm so sorry.

:cry:

Related to What kinds of vegetables are fatty and high in protein?

1. What are some examples of fatty vegetables?

Some examples of fatty vegetables include avocados, olives, and coconuts. These vegetables are high in healthy monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats.

2. Are there any vegetables that are high in protein?

Yes, there are several vegetables that are high in protein, such as soybeans, lentils, and peas. These vegetables are great sources of plant-based protein for vegetarians and vegans.

3. Can vegetables be both fatty and high in protein?

Yes, some vegetables can be both fatty and high in protein. For example, nuts and seeds are high in healthy fats and also contain a good amount of protein.

4. Are all fatty vegetables unhealthy?

No, not all fatty vegetables are unhealthy. As mentioned before, some vegetables contain healthy fats that are important for our bodies. It's important to include a variety of healthy fats in our diets.

5. How can I incorporate fatty and high-protein vegetables into my meals?

There are many ways to incorporate fatty and high-protein vegetables into your meals. You can add avocado or nuts to your salads, use lentils or beans as a protein source in soups or stews, or make a stir-fry with tofu and vegetables. Get creative and experiment with different recipes!