What kind of wood should I use for a platform that holds 200 lbs

In summary, a flat platform with 4 leveling feet can hold a heavy duty blower which is around 200 lbs. The platform is 21.5" x 22.5".
theBEAST
I am making a flat platform with 4 leveling feet that can hold a heavy duty blower which is around 200 lbs. The platform is 21.5" x 22.5" as shown in this image (let me know if there are better designs):

I thought about using 0.5" steel plate but with these dimensions, it will cost me $200+. That is why I decided wood would be a good option although I am not sure what type of wood to use. What I need is something strong, will dampen vibrations from the blower and costs less than $100 (the cheaper the better).

This will be indoors and will be a raised platform, I was thinking of using Heavy Duty Vibration-Damping Leveling Mounts.

I heard that I can use 2x's to build a platform. What dimension 2x's should I use and I am guessing I would put them side by side to form a platform similar to hardwood floors?

Engineering news on Phys.org
theBEAST said:
I heard that I can use 2x's to build a platform. What dimension 2x's should I use and I am guessing I would put them side by side to form a platform similar to hardwood floors?

Yes, 2x4s would be just fine. If you want extra strength, put them with the 3.5" side vertical instead of horizontal.

Top it off with 3/4" plywood and you should be good.

agreed.

yep. @integral hit it: 3/4 ply of any sort (CDX is fine) with 2x4 is ample. i have built many utility platforms using this, and they can easily take 200 lbs, especially if you orient the 2x4s as @phinds suggested. for greatest stability, let's say you upgrade the blower, you may want a crosspiece or two, stud-wall-style, but that would be the last you ever concern yourself with it. this sort of structure is so strong that your concerns shift to other things, such as whether the feet, casters or whatever, are stable enough.

i would pre-drill your holes and then use lubricated deck screws (deckmate, for instance) for maximum ease in construction, and incredible holding power, in addition to easy disassembly.

you can fancy things up a bit if you like, making a lip on top with 1x1 or 2x2 all around, so your blower doesn't inadvertently slide off. or if it has bolt-downs, of course ignore the lip suggestion. if you feel there's any risk with the blower punching through plywood (unlikely, but if things got really wet, rotted and such, it could be an issue after many years), then you might enjoy the comfort of having painted or otherwise treated the mounting surface, and you could brace the corners... at some point you have a platform that elephants could step on.

Last edited:

I would recommend using a hardwood such as oak or maple for the platform. These types of wood have high strength and durability, making them suitable for supporting heavy loads. Additionally, they have natural damping properties that can help reduce vibrations from the blower.

In terms of dimensions, 2x4 or 2x6 boards would be suitable for building the platform. However, it is important to make sure the boards are properly spaced and supported to evenly distribute the weight of the blower. It may also be helpful to use additional support beams underneath the platform for added stability.

While wood may be a more cost-effective option compared to steel, it is important to choose a high-quality, sturdy hardwood to ensure the safety and longevity of the platform. I would also recommend consulting with a professional carpenter or engineer to ensure the platform is properly designed and constructed to meet your specific needs.

Related to What kind of wood should I use for a platform that holds 200 lbs

1. What factors should I consider when choosing the type of wood for my platform?

When choosing the type of wood for your platform, you should consider the strength, durability, and weight-bearing capacity of the wood. You should also consider the environment in which the platform will be used, as well as any potential exposure to moisture or chemicals.

2. How do I determine the weight-bearing capacity of different types of wood?

The weight-bearing capacity of wood is determined by its density and strength. Generally, hardwoods such as oak, maple, and birch have a higher weight-bearing capacity than softwoods such as pine or cedar. It is important to consult a wood density chart or consult with a professional to determine the specific weight-bearing capacity of different wood types.

3. Can I use any type of wood for a platform that holds 200 lbs?

No, not all types of wood are suitable for supporting heavy weights. It is important to choose a wood with a high weight-bearing capacity and ensure that it is properly reinforced and supported.

4. Are there any specific types of wood that are recommended for platforms that hold heavy weights?

Some of the best types of wood for platforms that hold heavy weights include oak, maple, and birch. These hardwoods have a high strength-to-weight ratio and are able to support heavy loads without bending or breaking.

5. How can I ensure that the wood I choose will be strong enough to support 200 lbs?

To ensure that the wood you choose will be strong enough to support 200 lbs, make sure to select a wood with a high weight-bearing capacity and properly reinforce the platform with additional support beams. It is also important to regularly inspect the platform for any signs of wear or damage and make necessary repairs to maintain its strength and stability.