What kind of problem is this and what tools can we use to tackle it?

• Thread starter LuculentCabal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tools
In summary, the conversation discusses a system of equations involving constants A, B, and C, and four variables a, b, c, and d. The system can be simplified to a quadratic equation but there are not enough equations to solve for all four variables. Numerical methods such as using MATLAB or solving for one variable and then using substitution can be used to find solutions. The conversation also mentions a more complex system involving ten variables, but a more streamlined solution method is needed.
LuculentCabal
Basically I have the following system:

[tex] ac = A [/tex]

[tex] ad + bc = B [/tex]

[tex] bd = C [/tex]

where [tex]A[/tex], [tex]B[/tex], and [tex]C[/tex] are constants.

Solving for [tex]a, b, c,[/tex] and [tex]d[/tex], what kind of problem/system am I encountering and what appropriate tools (vectors and/or numerical methods perhaps[?]) would help to find the set of solutions for [tex]a, b, c,[/tex] and [tex]d[/tex]?

I know that the system factors a trinomial but I don't know what kind of problem is presented by the system itself.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Inserting the first and third equation into the second gives you a quadratic equation (altghough for a product of two unknowns).
You will still end up with one unknown variable as you do not have enough equations.

betel said:
You will still end up with one unknown variable as you do not have enough equations.

Could there still be numerical methods for finding the solutions?

Thanks for your reply.

My messing around on MATLAB. Not sure how useful it is...

Code:
EDU>> syms a b c A B C
EDU>> sol = solve('a*c = A','a*d + b*c = B','b*d = C');
EDU>> [a;sol.b(1);sol.c(1);sol.d(1)]
ans =
                                 a
 a*(1/2*B-1/2*(B^2-4*A*C)^(1/2))/A
                               A/a
   (1/2*B+1/2*(B^2-4*A*C)^(1/2))/a
EDU>> [a;sol.b(2);sol.c(2);sol.d(2)]
ans =
                                 a
 a*(1/2*B+1/2*(B^2-4*A*C)^(1/2))/A
                               A/a
   (1/2*B-1/2*(B^2-4*A*C)^(1/2))/a

I guess that's two sets of solutions?

edit - I generally prefer linear algebra to sets of equations where variables are multiplied. It's kind of a nightmare actually - I can see a uniqueness/existence problem if a = 0 right away, or B^2-4*A*C < 0? What a mess...

Last edited:
I recommend substituting the top and bottom into the middle.
[tex]Cx+\frac{A}{x}=B[/tex]
(where [itex]x=\frac{a}{b}[/itex]) and solve for x.

The variable b is arbitrary (but not equal 0) and [itex]a=xb[/itex]
Use top and bottom equation to find rest.

EDIT: just as bebel said :D

Thanks for the output MikeyW, your MATLAB solution looks consistent with what I have found. I have found that the system can be simplified to a function of [tex]b, c[/tex], and the constants. Letting one of the variables assume any value, I can solve for the other with the quadratic formula or Newtons method, and then find the other two variables.

After simplifying:

[tex]
{b^2}{c^2} - Bbc + AC = 0
[/tex]

[tex]
a =\frac{A}{c}
[/tex]

[tex]
d = \frac{C}{b}
[/tex]

I don't know if this would necessarily work for higher degree polynomials (especially an odd number of variables), and wonder if there is a solution using vectors/linear algebra. My linear algebra knowledge is still elementary and haven't had to encounter multiple variables before so I don't know if there are tools that can help.

A little more complex would be the following system which factors a quintic when [tex]a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, i [/tex] and [tex]j[/tex] are solved for with [tex]A, B, C, D, E,[/tex] and [tex]F[/tex] being constants.

[tex] acegi = A[/tex]

[tex] acegj + acehi + acfgi + egadi + egbci = B [/tex]

[tex] acehj + acfgj + egadj + egbcj + acfhi + adehi + adfgi + bcehi + bcfgi + bdegi = C [/tex]

[tex] acfhj + adehj + bcehj + bcfgj + bdegj + adfhi + bcfhi + ehbdi + fgbdi + adfgj = D [/tex]

[tex] adfhj + bcfhj + ehbdj + fgbdj + bdfhi = E [/tex]

[tex] bdfhj = F [/tex]

Is there any way to solve for the above ten variables with a method more streamlined than the "plug and chug" method used previously for the quadratic?

*I am not as interested in any solution as I am in any algorithm ("plug and chug" or other)

Thanks again for any info. It is greatly appreciated.

Related to What kind of problem is this and what tools can we use to tackle it?

1. What are the different types of problems that exist?

There are various types of problems that can arise, such as mathematical problems, scientific problems, social problems, and technological problems. Each type of problem requires a unique approach and set of tools to solve it.

2. How can we determine the type of problem we are facing?

The first step in tackling any problem is to identify its type. This can be done by analyzing the nature of the problem, its context, and the desired outcome. Consulting with experts in the field can also help in determining the type of problem and the appropriate tools to use.

3. What are some common tools used to solve problems?

Some commonly used tools to tackle problems include scientific methods, data analysis, critical thinking, problem-solving frameworks, and computer software. The specific tool(s) needed will depend on the type of problem and its complexity.

4. How do we choose the right tool(s) for a specific problem?

Choosing the right tool(s) for a problem requires a deep understanding of the problem and its underlying factors. It also involves considering the available resources and expertise. Experimentation and trial and error may also be necessary in finding the most effective tool(s) for a particular problem.

5. Can a combination of tools be used to tackle a problem?

Yes, it is often necessary to use a combination of tools to solve a problem effectively. For example, a problem involving both data analysis and critical thinking may require the use of statistical tools and logical reasoning. The key is to identify the most suitable tools for each aspect of the problem and integrate them in a cohesive manner.