Mistake in my complex exponentiation: where?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of exponentiation with complex numbers and the potential mistakes that can arise when interpreting the results. The speaker is interested in understanding their particular mistake rather than finding a more compact solution. They also mention the idea of defining the exponentiation of complex numbers as a function on a Riemann surface.
nomadreid
Gold Member
I am sure I am overlooking something elementary, but playing around with exponentiation (this is not an assignment), I seem to be making a mistake somewhere. Please don't send me a link for a more compact way of getting the correct result; I wish to know what my particular mistake is.

Suppose r,s∈ℂ, r= exp(a+bi) = ea+bi, and s=c+di, so that
rs =exp((a+bi)(c+di)) = exp((ac-bd)+(ad+bc)i).
(I am not using "r" as length.)

So far, very straightforward, but the problem comes in the interpretation that this result has a length exp(ac-bd) and angle (ad+bc) Radians.

What bothers me about this is that since r = (exp(a +(b+n2π)i) for n∈ℤ, the above result would come out with a length of
exp(ac-(b+n2π)d) = exp(ac-bd- 2ndπ)
and an angle of (ad+(b+n2π)c)=(ad+ bc+2ncπ):

this means that (with a few exceptions) the length will not be the same as the first result, and the angle will not be equivalent to the first result. But I would imagine that rs should have a unique (modulo an angle of 2nπ) result, no?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Likes nomadreid
Thank you, Jonathan Scott. More interesting than I thought it would be. This encourages me to investigate (from the brief mention in the Wiki article) the possibility of defining rs, for r∈ℂ, as a function on a Riemann surface. My mistakes lead me into interesting avenues.

Related to Mistake in my complex exponentiation: where?

1. What is a complex exponentiation?

Complex exponentiation is a mathematical operation where a complex number is raised to a power, also known as an exponent. It involves using imaginary numbers, represented by i, in addition to real numbers. The result of the operation is also a complex number.

2. How do I know if there is a mistake in my complex exponentiation?

If you are unsure if there is a mistake in your complex exponentiation, you can check your calculations by using a calculator or by hand. Make sure you are using the correct formulas and properly accounting for imaginary numbers. You can also ask a colleague or consult a textbook or online resource for guidance.

3. What are some common mistakes in complex exponentiation?

Common mistakes in complex exponentiation include forgetting to distribute the imaginary number properly, using the wrong formula, or making a calculation error. It is important to double check your work and be familiar with the rules and properties of complex numbers when performing this operation.

4. How can I avoid making mistakes in complex exponentiation?

To avoid making mistakes in complex exponentiation, it is important to have a solid understanding of the concept and practice regularly. Make sure to double check your calculations and use the correct formulas. It can also be helpful to break the problem into smaller steps and be mindful of any common errors you tend to make.

5. Are there any tips for simplifying complex exponentiation?

Simplifying complex exponentiation can be made easier by using the rules and properties of complex numbers. For example, i raised to an even power results in a real number, while i raised to an odd power results in an imaginary number. It can also be helpful to convert the complex number into polar form before performing the operation.