What kind of jobs can a physicist do outside of academia and research?

In summary, a physicist can do anything a non-physicist can do, but they may have to go through additional steps to get a job in that field.
symbolipoint said:
"ANYTHING" includes engineering...
Right, but engineering isn't "anything". Are we really doing this? Was this just a grammar error? You understand that if I have $10 then I don't have all of the money in the world, right? $10 is a subset of all of the money in the world, but all of the money in the world is not a subset of $10.

Likes Grands
Physics news on Phys.org
RUSS, EXPLAIN WHAT I AM MISSING! If you know what details I am not aware of say clearly what they are.

symbolipoint said:
RUSS, EXPLAIN WHAT I AM MISSING! If you know what details I am not aware of say clearly what they are.
I thought I did. What you said was that a physicist can do *any* job. I feel like you are aware that that isn't true - it's downright ridiculous, so perhaps you just didn't mean it the way you wrote it - but seem to be defending it (or dodging it) anyway. I think what you mean is that a physics degree qualifies a person to do *some* non-physics jobs. Right?

Why does this matter? Because people often over-state what can be done with a physics degree here and in academia, which sometimes leads to people looking for jobs in the wrong place or having unrealistic expectations of what they can do with the degree. We've had a lot of very angry unemployed physics grads here, who have complained that their departments lied to them about their after-college job prospects.

Likes Grands
russ_watters said:
I thought I did. What you said was that a physicist can do *any* job. I feel like you are aware that that isn't true - it's downright ridiculous, so perhaps you just didn't mean it the way you wrote it - but seem to be defending it (or dodging it) anyway. I think what you mean is that a physics degree qualifies a person to do *some* non-physics jobs. Right?

Why does this matter? Because people often over-state what can be done with a physics degree here and in academia, which sometimes leads to people looking for jobs in the wrong place or having unrealistic expectations of what they can do with the degree. We've had a lot of very angry unemployed physics grads here, who have complained that their departments lied to them about their after-college job prospects.
That's a start. Maybe my somewhat limited experience with physics students and some graduates & faculty was with some fortunate ones who were lucky.

Guys, it seems that there is no answer to my question.
I only wanted to know if physics are required to do other kind of jobs outside academia and outside research, obviously without taking others qualifications.

Thanks

Grands said:
Guys, it seems that there is no answer to my question.
I only wanted to know if physics are required to do other kind of jobs outside academia and outside research, obviously without taking others qualifications.

Thanks
This thread did get sidetracked a lot, true. But you also changed your question part way through. You first asked what jobs (outside of mainstream physics in a university or research lab) can a physicist (with only physics degrees) perform. That has been answered many times. At least in the US, a physicist can work at jobs in a wide variety of fields (including, but not limited to, engineering, software, business, and finance) as long as (a) an employer is willing to hire him [or he starts his own business] and (b) there are no legal regulations barring him from doing the job. You then shifted gears and said no, you're asking what jobs (outside of mainstream physics in a university or research lab) require a physics degree ... which is an entirely different question from the one you first asked. One answer given is that of medical physicist (but that requires completion of a special medical physics program). Other than that, I'm not aware of any other job that requires a physics degree [e.g., I don't believe you need a physics degree to teach high-school physics, although specific high schools may require it]. Again, all this is from a US perspective.

Likes symbolipoint
CrysPhys said:
But you also changed your question part way through.
Ok, it's true, but also because the admin told me to don't open another thread, because he will close it.

CrysPhys said:
(a) an employer is willing to hire him [or he starts his own business] and (b) there are no legal regulations barring him from doing the job.
Ok, but the physicist that in this can is hired, do a job in which he uses the skills he learned from university?

CrysPhys said:
One answer given is that of medical physicist (but that requires completion of a special medical physics program).
I heard about this opportunity, in the US this kind of residency is paid?
How does it last?

CrysPhys said:
I don't believe you need a physics degree to teach high-school physics
In Italy to teach physics at high school you need a bachelor's and a master degree.

Likes Buffu
Grands said:
I heard about this opportunity [medical physics residency], in the US this kind of residency is paid?
How does it last?

Yes, medical physics residents are paid. The median salary is about $50k USD.

Programs typically last for about two years because that's the amount of direct clinical experience that's required to write board examinations. During this time the residents will move through various clinical rosters gaining experience in different areas of the selected specialization.

Likes Grands
Choppy said:
Yes, medical physics residents are paid. The median salary is about $50k USD.
This is very good, in Italy you get no money, you have to do another job.

Choppy said:
Programs typically last for about two years
In Italy last 4 to 5 years...

Grands said:
Ok, but the physicist that in this can is hired, do a job in which he uses the skills he learned from university?
Defintely, yes. The key is to leverage off the skills and experiences you've previously learned and continue to acquire new skills. A background in physics (particularly a PhD, more particularly a PhD in experimental physics) provides a set of skills that is both broad and deep. Don't you think that a physicist adept at analyzing data from a collider can analyze data from a financial database? Don't you think that a physicist who can model transport of phonons through superlattices can model transport of petroleum through pipelines? Don't you think that a physicist who can develop enhanced image processing techniques to identify defects in semiconductors from electron micrographs can develop enhanced image processing techniques to identify tumors in breasts from mammograms? Don't you think a physicst who can design and build a surface analysis lab can design and build a network test lab? ...

Likes NTL2009
CrysPhys said:
Don't you think that a physicist adept at analyzing data from a collider can analyze data from a financial database? Don't you think that a physicist who can model transport of phonons through superlattices can model transport of petroleum through pipelines? Don't you think that a physicist who can develop enhanced image processing techniques to identify defects in semiconductors from electron micrographs can develop enhanced image processing techniques to identify tumors in breasts from mammograms? Don't you think a physicst who can design and build a surface analysis lab can design and build a network test lab?
Yes, my question it's about that, if you know any video that speak about this can you send the link in PM? Thanks.

Beside this my question is about the comparison between a physicist and an engineer at work.
I mean, both can work in tech industries, I wanted to know if there are some jobs that only physicist can do, due to they mindset, in case this is very different in comparison to the engineers one.

CrysPhys said:
Defintely, yes. The key is to leverage off the skills and experiences you've previously learned and continue to acquire new skills. A background in physics (particularly a PhD, more particularly a PhD in experimental physics) provides a set of skills that is both broad and deep. Don't you think that a physicist adept at analyzing data from a collider can analyze data from a financial database? Don't you think that a physicist who can model transport of phonons through superlattices can model transport of petroleum through pipelines? Don't you think that a physicist who can develop enhanced image processing techniques to identify defects in semiconductors from electron micrographs can develop enhanced image processing techniques to identify tumors in breasts from mammograms? Don't you think a physicst who can design and build a surface analysis lab can design and build a network test lab? ...
Yes, I get it, if you know some video that speak abut this can you please link it in PM? Thanks.

We know that physicists and engineers can work both in the tech sector.
Does someone know if there are any job that requires the skills of a physicist, due to his mindset instead ones of an engineer ?
Does the mindset of physicist are appreciated by some companies over the engineers one?

Grands said:
Yes, I get it, if you know some video that speak abut this can you please link it in PM? Thanks.
I don't know of a video. I previously gave you a link to APS News. As I mentioned, there are frequent columns describing physicists who work outside of what most consider mainstream physics. So skim through the last several years of issues (published monthly) and find and read those columns.

What is APS news?
Anyway it is true that with a degree in Physics at MIT it's hard to find a job in a museum ?
I saw that here

Grands said:
What is APS news?

APS News is a monthly newsletter published by the American Physical Society (APS), one of the top professional societies for physicists, not only in the US, but also internationally. Off and on you comment that your questions aren't answered. But are you reading the responses? I gave you a link to APS News in Post #27.

CrysPhys said:
With respect to the initial question about physicists working on Wall Street: Yes they do. Some analyze financial data. Some develop predictive models about how portfolios will behave, when to sell, when to buy. Some work as analysts for venture capital firms. Other physicists work for insurance and credit-card companies doing risk analysis and predictive modelling. Here's a story in APS News of a physicist who went from chaos theory to credit-card fraud prevention:

https://www.aps.org/publications/apsnews/201701/profiles.cfm

[By the way, APS News presents columns frequently on physicists working outside of what is considered mainstream physics. You should skim other previous issues as well (publically accessible).]

Likes Grands
CrysPhys said:
APS News is a monthly newsletter published by the American Physical Society (APS), one of the top professional societies for physicists, not only in the US, but also internationally. Off and on you comment that your questions aren't answered. But are you reading the responses? I gave you a link to APS News in Post #27.
Sorry, you message was to interesting that I concentred only on the written parts and I didn't saw the link.

Anyway, can be true the story of that girl that wasn't hired in a science museum, even if she had a degree in Physics, obtained at MIT?

Last edited:
Grands said:
Sorry, you message was to interesting that I concentred only on the written parts and I didn't saw the link.

Anyway, can be true the story of that girl that wasn't hired in a science museum, even if she had a degree in Physics, obtained at MIT?

Even if it is true, what does that matter? I can also show you where a physics graduate went on to start his own company and become a millionaire. Why are you focusing on the exception rather than the rule?

You've been given a source on where to look for the type of jobs that physics degree holders have been employed, and the corresponding statistics. You should not turn this into a gossip column.

Zz.

Likes Grands
ZapperZ said:
Even if it is true, what does that matter? I can also show you where a physics graduate went on to start his own company and become a millionaire. Why are you focusing on the exception rather than the rule?
It's just because the MIT is one of the best university and this made me to think that maybe is not so important to pay attention to the ranking.

Grands said:
Really, you'll get a more valid sampling of career opportunities for physicists from APS than from random InterNet videos. I viewed the video. There was no discussion of what the position at the museum was for, and why she was turned down. Here are possible reasons that have nothing to do with her MIT credentials (total conjecture on my part; I'm not saying that any actually applied in her instance): (1) Some positions are geared for staff to explain science to children and non-technical members of the general public. Some scientists aren't good at such communications. (2) Some positions require work during weekday evenings and weekends. Many young adults don't want to work these shifts. (3) There's an issue of being overqualified. Hiring managers don't want to waste their time training a new employee who's obviously just parking herself temporarily at a museum job while searching for a "real" job. The candidate has to have a good answer to the question, "Why do you want this job?" [not, "To pay the rent while I look for a better job."] (4) There was a better candidate.

Likes Grands
Grands said:
Anyway it is true that with a degree in Physics at MIT it's hard to find a job in a museum ?

You saw a YouTube video where someone got one rejection letter from a very competitive venue that doesn't typically hire their background and you're. . . coming to some conclusion? Or something?

Maybe you're just interested in our response. Mine is this: that video says nothing about anything. I don't understand why you posted it.

Likes russ_watters, NTL2009 and Grands
Grands, post #49,
Graduated from MIT in Physics?
No, just by faith, no!

Likes Grands
Locrian said:
You saw a YouTube video where someone got one rejection letter from a very competitive venue that doesn't typically hire their background and you're. . . coming to some conclusion? Or something?
I'm not coming to a conclusion, it's just weird in my opinion.
In italy I found another video, that I can't post because is in italian, where an italian guy get a PhD from MIT in astrophysics, he decide to came back in Italy, and now is a clochard, he is called Roberto Bazzano, and he ask from to the people in the street, he is 61.
I don't know if this is a fake news, it was on some newspaper, there is a way to check if this news is true?

symbolipoint said:
No, just by faith, no!
What do you mean ?

Grands said:
I'm not coming to a conclusion, it's just weird in my opinion.
In italy I found another video, that I can't post because is in italian, where an italian guy get a PhD from MIT in astrophysics, he decide to came back in Italy, and now is a clochard, he is called NoPostingNameWithoutPermission, and he ask from to the people in the street, he is 61.
I don't know if this is a fake news, it was on some newspaper, there is a way to check if this news is true?

(and symbolipoint said, "no, just by faith, no!")

What do you mean ?
You ask, is it true that with degree in Physics from M.I.T. that someone would have a hard time finding a job at a museum?
What I intend to say is that NO. Simply that I have faith that such a person would not have difficulty finding a job at a museum. I have this faith because this graduate has a fine education from a very well established, high quality school, and is necessarily both very educated and very intelligent; and certainly can communicate well.

Likes Grands
Grands said:
There are many possible reasons why this particular person was not hired for this particular job, and „not qualified“ is one of the most unlikely options.

Likes Grands and symbolipoint
I might have misunderstood post #57. So the 61 year-old did not necessarily have trouble finding a job (Obviously, since worked for NASA).

Likes Grands
symbolipoint said:
I might have misunderstood post #57. So the 61 year-old did not necessarily have trouble finding a job (Obviously, since worked for NASA).
No, he came back in Italy and he find no job.

Grands said:
No, he came back in Italy and he find no job.
As you explained in another post, the unemployment rate is very high there. No wonder he found no job after returning. He may also be troubled with the condition of being overqualified, even though he still wants and needs employment, regardless of any extra qualifications he has.

Likes russ_watters and Grands
symbolipoint said:
You ask, is it true that with degree in Physics from M.I.T. that someone would have a hard time finding a job at a museum?
What I intend to say is that NO. Simply that I have faith that such a person would not have difficulty finding a job at a museum. I have this faith because this graduate has a fine education from a very well established, high quality school, and is necessarily both very educated and very intelligent; and certainly can communicate well.
No, that person's academic credentials are not sufficient by themselves to land her a job in a science museum. I gave several reasons why in Post #54. To follow up on Reason (4) in that post, even if she were a well qualified candidate, that doesn't mean she was the best qualified candidate. Suppose the hiring manager was a Harvard grad, and another candidate had a BS in physics from Harvard (which would give her an edge over the MIT grad because personal biases come into play), was fluent in five languages, had volunteered as a science tutor for the inner-city kids of Boston, ...

And, on the flip side, I reiterate my caveat about being overqualified for certain positions. Proper fit is important.

Or it could be simply a matter of personal chemistry during the interview. What one hiring manager might perceive as novel and charming, another hiring manager might perceive as contrived and overly cutesy.

But, as I posted above, we have no details on what the position was and why she was rejected. So it's important for the OP not to draw any conclusions from this video ... particularly about the career opportunities with a physics degree or about the significance of a diploma from a name-brand school.

Last edited:
Likes Grands
Grands said:
In italy I found another video, that I can't post because is in italian, where an italian guy get a PhD from MIT in astrophysics, he decide to came back in Italy, and now is a clochard, ...
<<Emphasis added>> I had to look that up. I nominate it for the new vocabulary word of the day. :-)

Likes Grands
symbolipoint said:
As you explained in another post, the unemployment rate is very high there. No wonder he found no job after returning. He may also be troubled with the condition of being overqualified, even though he still wants and needs employment, regardless of any extra qualifications he has.
The unemployment is high for young people, not for someone that is 61.
The general unemployment is 11%.

He said that he went to London and worked as a gardener, and as a dishwasher.
After he comes back again in Italy ( the second time) and now he is one the street asking money.
He also tried to open a library about Physics mysteries but he had to close it, because he failed.

Likes symbolipoint
Grands said:
The unemployment is high for young people, not for someone that is 61.
The general unemployment is 11%.

I'm not familiar with employment practices in Italy. But I know that in other European countries, greater age by itself and greater years seniority in a job provides greater job security. But that would apply mainly to people who were employed in that country when younger and continued in place. Wouldn't the fact that the physicist had previously left Italy make him more vulnerable to being unemployed? The customary protections and low unemployment rate for seniors wouldn't then apply.

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters and Grands
Grands said:

She said she applied for one job and didn't get it.

Are you seriously arguing that someone from MIT should get every single job they apply for? What if two MIT people apply for the same job?

Likes Dr. Courtney and Grands
Vanadium 50 said:
She said she applied for one job and didn't get it.

Are you seriously arguing that someone from MIT should get every single job they apply for? What if two MIT people apply for the same job?
I'm not saying this, and I would be crazy to think in this way.
My idea is that a person with a degree from MIT don't concern about not being accepted by one job.
I just thought to say that a person with a physics degree from MIT had already job offers during university years, and that have so may opportunities that doesn't have the time to say that they don't know what to do to find a job.
I usually thought this about almost every person that have a major in Physics, not only those ones who graduated at MIT.

Grands said:
I'm not saying this, and I would be crazy to think in this way.
My idea is that a person with a degree from MIT don't concern about not being accepted by one job.
I just thought to say that a person with a physics degree from MIT had already job offers during university years, and that have so may opportunities that doesn't have the time to say that they don't know what to do to find a job.
I usually thought this about almost every person that have a major in Physics, not only those ones who graduated at MIT.
Fantasy! Physics is great education but is not job-training. Students from ANY university still must HUNT for their jobs or career positions. A few of the very best at a school, might have a job offer just before or upon graduating. Even among MIT students, I'd still imagine that however good someone is, there is still someone better. You might be focusing excessively on big famous brand name schools and not enough on picking a major field and studying for at least bachelor degree.

You need to, in a few weeks or so, pick a major field, choose and apply and gain admission to college or university, earn your degree (bachelor degree at first), and find and take a job. If you were to be good enough in your undergrad studies, maybe you could continue on for Master's degree.

Likes Grands