What kind of grad programs can I get into with a physics degree?

In summary, there are numerous graduate school programs open to students with a Bachelor's degree in Physics. Some of these programs include Physics and Astrophysics, Materials Science, Electrical Engineering, Medical Physics, Health Physics, Geophysics, Neuroscience, Biomedical Engineering, Nuclear Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Applied Mathematics or Modelling, Complexity Science, Computer Science, Informatics, Environmental Science, Physical Chemistry, Statistics, Biostatistics, Actuarial Science, Financial Mathematics, and Computational Biology and Bioinformatics. These programs may have specific prerequisites that need to be fulfilled, but having a degree in Physics can still make one a competitive applicant. Additionally, physics graduates may also consider professional programs such as medicine or law, where their
gsmith
A question I have always had is what sort of graduate school programs are open to you with a Physics undergrad. Obviously Physics and Astrophysics. But I have also heard Materials Science and Electrical Engineering. Is this true? What other programs would be open to a Physics major? And how would applying to an EE or Materials Science program as a physics major affect your chances of admission?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
[mentor's note: moved into a separate thread for better visibility]

Thank you!
Glad it is a question worth asking.

To clarify, I am majoring in physics, but am unsure about my ability to excel in the field. As such, I am looking for options that, if I decide that Physics grad school is not right for me, I can pursue right out of college with a Bachelors degree in Physics.

Many of the "interdisciplinary" fields are open to physics graduates. Sometimes it's a matter of just checking out the individual websites. Sometimes it's not a specific degree that's needed for admission as it is, a specifc set of courses... courses that you can pick up as electives in your senior year if you need to.

Some "tangential" graduate fields that a physics BSc graduate may want to look into:
- medical physics
- health physics
- geophysics
(Sometimes the above are part of graduate programs in physics, sometimes they are seperate.)
- neuroscience
- materials science
- biomedical engineering
- electrical engineering
- nuclear engineering
- mechanical engineering
- Earth and atmospheric sciences
- applied mathematics or modelling
- complexity science
- computer science
- informatics
- environmental science
- physical chemistry

And then of course, provided you have the prerequisites there are also professional programs such as medicine or law. Physics graduates tend to do rather well on the MCAT.

And as far as applying to each with a physics degree, I think in most cases what matters is that you satisfy the admission requirements by having covered the prerequisite material. If you have it likely won't matter what your degree is. If you haven't, you won't be in the running anyway.

Thank you! Tremendously helpful!

A few more:

Statistics
Biostatistics
Actuarial Science
Financial Mathematics
Computational Biology and Bioinformatics

Related to What kind of grad programs can I get into with a physics degree?

1. What are some common graduate programs that physics majors pursue?

Physics majors often pursue graduate programs in fields such as astrophysics, nuclear physics, quantum physics, materials science, and engineering.

2. Can I pursue a graduate program in a different field with a physics degree?

Yes, physics majors can also pursue graduate programs in fields such as computer science, data science, finance, and medicine. Many of the skills and knowledge gained from a physics degree are transferable to other fields.

3. What are some factors to consider when choosing a graduate program with a physics degree?

Some important factors to consider include the program's focus or specialization, research opportunities, faculty expertise, location, and potential career paths after graduation.

4. Are there any specific prerequisites or requirements for graduate programs in physics?

Yes, most graduate programs in physics require applicants to have a strong background in mathematics, including calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra. Some programs may also require coursework in specific physics topics, such as electromagnetism and quantum mechanics.

5. What are some tips for preparing for graduate programs in physics?

Some tips for preparing for graduate programs in physics include taking advanced coursework in physics and mathematics, gaining research experience through internships or undergraduate research projects, and studying for standardized exams such as the GRE. It is also important to maintain a strong GPA and obtain strong letters of recommendation from professors or professionals in the field.