What kind of exposure is needed for ISS flyover videos?

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iss Videos
In summary, the videos from the Crew Earth Observation Videos on the NASA website are impressive and seem to have a longer exposure time than the usual fraction of a second exposures. It is estimated that the exposure time is around 2-3 seconds at ISO 800 to capture the city lights and faint stars in the background.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/Videos/CrewEarthObservationsVideos/

I saw one of these videos and they seem pretty badass. However, I was wondering, does anyone have any idea of what kind of exposure you need for those kinda videos? I'd be speechless if the exposures were the usual fraction of a second exposures you normally do and just compiles together to run at the 24-30fps. I imagine they may be a few seconds exposure, but I don't know :)

DISCUSS!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wooow, very nice videos! :!)
I'm impressed peng!

To get a good guess at the exposure, look at the stars in the background. The stars are quite faint, and do not make long streaks (but since it is video, I can't tell if they make short streaks). So the exposure can't be longer than about 10 seconds.

I can't guess what ISO the camera is using, but it seems reasonable that to get the city lights to show up brightly at that distance would be something on the order of 2-3 seconds at ISO 800 (assuming an aperture around f/2.8).

Related to What kind of exposure is needed for ISS flyover videos?

1. What is an ISS flyover video?

An ISS flyover video is a video captured from Earth of the International Space Station passing overhead. It typically shows the bright, fast-moving dot of the ISS against the night sky.

2. Where can I find ISS flyover videos?

ISS flyover videos can be found on various websites and social media platforms, such as NASA's website, YouTube, and Twitter. They can also be captured and shared by individuals who witness the flyovers.

3. How often do ISS flyovers occur?

ISS flyovers occur multiple times a day, as the ISS orbits the Earth about 16 times per day. However, the frequency and visibility of flyovers vary depending on your location and the time of year.

4. What causes the ISS to appear so bright in flyover videos?

The ISS appears bright in flyover videos because it reflects sunlight that is still visible from Earth after sunset. Additionally, the ISS is quite large and has large solar panels that reflect even more light.

5. Can I see the ISS with my naked eye during a flyover?

Yes, you can see the ISS with your naked eye during a flyover if the conditions are right. This typically includes a clear night sky and being in a location with minimal light pollution. It is also helpful to know the exact time and direction to look for the flyover.