What kind of differential equation is this?

In summary: You don't need Laplace transforms; that is just one of the ways to see it. The general solution of\frac{dx(t)}{dt} - a x(t) = f(t)isx(t) = C e^{at} + \int_0^t e^{a(t-\tau)} f(\tau) \, d \tau.
mathman44

Homework Statement

It's been a long time since I've done DE's and now I'm stuck with a monster of this form:

y'(t) = a*g'(t) + b*g(t) + c*y(t)

where g(t) is a known function and a, b and c are constants. What kind of DE is this, and how can I solve for y(t) -- or better yet, what should I read to figure this out? The answer involves a convolution integral, that I know for sure.

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
mathman44 said:

Homework Statement

It's been a long time since I've done DE's and now I'm stuck with a monster of this form:

where g(t) is a known function and a, b and c are constants. What kind of DE is this, and how can I solve for y(t) -- or better yet, what should I read to figure this out? The answer involves a convolution integral, that I know for sure.

Cheers.

This is just a simple linear DE of the form y'(t) - c*y(t) = f(t), where f(t) is the KNOWN function f(t) = a*g'(t) + b*g(t). There is nothing at all monstrous about it.

mathman44 said:

Homework Statement

Cheers.

If g(t) is known, then if you put h(t)=a*g'(t)+b*g(t), it's y'(t)-c*y(t)=h(t). It's an inhomogeneous first order linear equation. Nothing to do with convolution I can see.

Dick said:
If g(t) is known, then if you put h(t)=a*g'(t)+b*g(t), it's y'(t)-c*y(t)=h(t). It's an inhomogeneous first order linear equation. Nothing to do with convolution I can see.

Well, the formula for the nonhomgeneous solution *does* involve something very like a convolution. In fact, if you do it by Laplace transforms you can see explicitly that part of the solution involves a product of Laplace transforms, hence involves convolution. However, the general solution may also involve some non-convolution parts, depending on initial conditions, etc.

Ray Vickson said:
Well, the formula for the nonhomgeneous solution *does* involve something very like a convolution. In fact, if you do it by Laplace transforms you can see explicitly that part of the solution involves a product of Laplace transforms, hence involves convolution. However, the general solution may also involve some non-convolution parts, depending on initial conditions, etc.

Ok, shows I don't know much about Laplace transform methods. I stand corrected.

Dick said:
Ok, shows I don't know much about Laplace transform methods. I stand corrected.

You don't need Laplace transforms; that is just one of the ways to see it. The general solution of
[tex] \frac{dx(t)}{dt} - a x(t) = f(t) [/tex]
is
[tex] x(t) = C e^{at} + \int_0^t e^{a(t-\tau)} f(\tau) \, d \tau.[/tex]
Here, the first term is the solution of the homogeneous equation and the second term is a 'particular' solution to the non-homogeneous equation. The second terms is a convolution of the two functions ##e^t## and ##f(t)##.

Related to What kind of differential equation is this?

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates the rate of change of a function to the function itself. It involves one or more variables and their derivatives, and is commonly used to model physical and natural phenomena.

2. How do you classify a differential equation?

Differential equations can be classified based on their order, linearity, and the type of functions involved. They can be first, second, or higher order, and can be linear or nonlinear. They can also be classified as ordinary or partial depending on the number of independent variables.

3. What is the difference between an ordinary and a partial differential equation?

An ordinary differential equation (ODE) involves only one independent variable, while a partial differential equation (PDE) involves two or more independent variables. ODEs are commonly used to model one-dimensional systems, while PDEs are used for systems that vary in multiple dimensions.

4. What are the different types of differential equations?

There are several types of differential equations, including: first-order ODEs, second-order ODEs, linear ODEs, nonlinear ODEs, systems of ODEs, separable ODEs, exact ODEs, and partial differential equations. Each type has its own unique characteristics and methods of solving.

5. How do you solve a differential equation?

The method for solving a differential equation depends on its type and complexity. Some can be solved analytically using integration or other algebraic techniques, while others require numerical methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods. It is important to first classify the equation and then use the appropriate method for solving it.