What is Zeno's paradox and can it be resolved?

• Thread starter Tenenbaum
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary: I can stroll across the street because it's about twenty feet distance. That's finite. The idea that we can divide the distance infinitely (at least mathematically) has nothing to do with actually crossing the physical distance because I'm not being divided (or shrunk down) infinitely. The street isn't being divided. Nor is the sidewalk. These dimensions are set and stable.In summary, the paradox is a mathematical situation that isn't physically real, and infinite series can be summed.
Tenenbaum
No matter how close you ever think you are, there is always a infinite distance between.

Why is it wrong?
Why is it right?

I have no experience in physics, but I feel you guys could answer better then anyone else.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
That's Zeno's paradox. It breaks down on the atomic level.
You get half-way to your girlfriend, then half of that distance, then half of the remainder, and so on. So you never actually get there... but you can get close enough for all practical purposes. :biggrin:

two reasons the above girl friend scenario will not apply!

Dolly Parton !

Ranger Mike said:
Dolly Parton !

Please don't double-post... :rolleyes:

... I suddenly feel the urge for experimentation ...

Danger said:
That's Zeno's paradox. It breaks down on the atomic level.
You get half-way to your girlfriend, then half of that distance, then half of the remainder, and so on. So you never actually get there... but you can get close enough for all practical purposes. :biggrin:

Yeah, but assuming constant speed, it also takes you half as long to go through each step, so you end up doing an infinite amount of those half-step moves in a finite amount of time.

I can stroll across the street because it's about twenty feet distance. That's finite. The idea that we can divide the distance infinitely (at least mathematically) has nothing to do with actually crossing the physical distance because I'm not being divided (or shrunk down) infinitely. The street isn't being divided. Nor is the sidewalk. These dimensions are set and stable.

This is one of many recurring topics. Perhaps there should be a FAQ for these, where the solutions and links to resources are given. Then where a moderator sees that, the OP can be directed there followed by a lock.

Tenenbaum said:
No matter how close you ever think you are, there is always a infinite distance between.

Why is it wrong?
Why is it right?

As this is stated, it is clearly not true. If I am 3 metres, say, from my destination, there is certainly not an infinite distance between us.

Even Zeno's paradox isn't really a big deal if you understand that it defines a mathematical situation that isn't physically real.

russ_watters said:
Even Zeno's paradox isn't really a big deal if you understand that it defines a mathematical situation that isn't physically real.

Or that infinite series can be summed.

Related to What is Zeno's paradox and can it be resolved?

1. What is the meaning of this quote?

The meaning of this quote is the message or idea that the author is trying to convey through their words. It can be interpreted in different ways depending on the reader's perspective.

2. Who said this quote?

The author of this quote is the person who originally wrote or spoke the words. It is important to give credit to the author when using their quote.

3. Why is this quote significant?

This quote can be significant for a variety of reasons. It may be a powerful statement that resonates with many people, or it may have historical or cultural significance. It may also be significant to an individual because it relates to their personal experiences or beliefs.

4. How can this quote be applied in real life?

This quote can be applied in real life by using it as a source of inspiration or guidance. It can also be used to start a discussion or spark critical thinking about a certain topic.

5. Can this quote be interpreted in different ways?

Yes, this quote can be interpreted in different ways. The meaning of the quote may vary depending on the reader's background, experiences, and beliefs. It is open to interpretation and can have different meanings for different people.