What is your opinion on John C. Mather

• Thread starter Futuregen600
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a renowned astrophysicist who has been the lead researcher on various projects and is now working on the James Webb Telescope. The person asking the questions wants to know if he is considered the top astrophysicist in the world and if he rivals Neil deGrasse Tyson. The other person in the conversation admires and respects the astrophysicist, but disagrees with the term "top dog" and believes that science at that level involves teamwork. They also mention that Tyson is primarily an outreach figure and not a full-time researcher.
Futuregen600
he is suppose to be one of the top astrophysicist in the world..

John-C-Mather.jpg

was lead researcher on COPE... and is now going to be the lead researcher in the james webb telescope

is he really the top dog... or not

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Futuregen600 said:
he is suppose to be one of the top astrophysicist in the world..

John-C-Mather.jpg

was lead researcher on COPE... and is now going to be the lead researcher in the james webb telescope

is he really the top dog... or not

I admire and respect the guy. I don't feel comfortable with your term "top dog".
Science at that level can be collegial.
A successful project may be a team effort of a bunch of creative talented selfmotiveated people. It doesn't have to follow a military model of taking orders from the Great Leader.

Of course people have egos. especially theorists. Some theoretical physicist might be a prima donna. I've heard of that. But this guy is a OBSERVATIONAL cosmologist. I doubt you get very far in that world---where teamwork is so important---without someone leading who knows how to deal with people in a collegial "primus inter pares" (first among equals) way.

I could be wrong, but my hunch is that "top dog" is the wrong term to apply here.

Here is his 8 page autobiography he wrote in 2006 around the time of the Nobel.
http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/2006/mather-autobio.html
It's interesting. I think it gives a good sense of what the guy is like. though I've no direct contact with him and am only guessing. Largely rural and small town background. Born 1946.
He describes his childhood, family, school experiences, grad school, career, remembering many friends. Sounds like a modest sociable guy, who gets along well with people, with driving passion for hands-on science and finding out stuff.

Last edited:
He has some unorthodox ideas, but, so do all great thinkers.

im often told he is one of the top astrophysicist in the world

but does he rival neil degrese tyson

Futuregen600 said:
im often told he is one of the top astrophysicist in the world

What is your point in trying to get him labeled in some way?

Futuregen600 said:

Tyson does not do significant research in astrophysics. To be sure, he has been author on a number of papers:
http://www.haydenplanetarium.org/tyson/curriculum-vitae#research

But this is nothing near a world class astrophysicist's track record. He has published only three papers in the last fourteen years, and none of his earlier work is too terribly influential.

That's not meant to be a knock against him, just that he is primarily the directory of an astronomy museum and a public outreach figure. The time commitments simply make this incompatible with being a full-time researcher.

Tyson has admitted as much in some of his interviews. He misses the research thing, but, the demands on his time as an outreach figure simply rule it out. He is certainly an important ambassador for science in his current capacity and has undoubtably inspired many future astrophysicists. Carl Sagan did much the same with 'Cosmos', as well as Isaac Asimov's popularizations through science fiction novels. Both were fine scientists who found a calling outside academia. I don't think we are any the worse for those contributions.

Related to What is your opinion on John C. Mather

1. What is John C. Mather known for?

John C. Mather is known for being an American astrophysicist and cosmologist. He is best known for his work on the Cosmic Background Explorer (COBE) satellite, which provided evidence for the Big Bang theory of the origin of the universe.

2. What are some of John C. Mather's achievements?

John C. Mather's achievements include being awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 2006 for his work on COBE, receiving the National Medal of Science in 2014, and being inducted into the National Academy of Sciences in 1999.

3. How has John C. Mather contributed to our understanding of the universe?

John C. Mather's work on COBE provided strong evidence for the Big Bang theory, which is the prevailing scientific explanation for the origin of the universe. He also helped to develop and refine techniques for studying the cosmic microwave background radiation, which has allowed scientists to gain a deeper understanding of the early universe.

4. What is your opinion on John C. Mather's contributions to science?

As a scientist, I greatly admire John C. Mather's contributions to our understanding of the universe. His work on COBE was groundbreaking and has had a significant impact on the field of cosmology. He has also been a dedicated and influential mentor to many young scientists.

5. What is John C. Mather's current work or research?

Currently, John C. Mather is a senior astrophysicist at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center and is working on the James Webb Space Telescope, which is set to launch in 2021. He is also involved in the development of the proposed mission, the Primordial Inflation Explorer (PIXIE), which aims to study the polarization of the cosmic microwave background radiation.