What is with this projectile simulation?

In summary, the conversation discusses a project based on a simulation that demonstrates projectile motion. The simulation includes air resistance, which affects the range and maximum height of the projectile when the mass is increased. The altitude variable is also mentioned, but its purpose is unclear. The conversation also touches on the effects of air resistance and mass on an object's trajectory, with the conclusion that a larger, heavier object will experience less resistance. Overall, the speaker has limited knowledge about air resistance and is uncertain about the calculations used in the simulation.
sohjau

Homework Statement

I need to do a project based around this simulation (https://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulation/projectile-motion). I was playing around with it and am confused with how it even works. It seems to work fine with the exclusion of air resistance, but it seems off with it included. When air resistance is included and mass is increased, the projectiles's range and maximum height is increased as well. Why does this simulation do that? Also, what is the altitude variable for?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, I want to note that in my course, I have neither learned nor will learn a single thing about air resistance. All of my knowledge about it is from a quick search on the internet. Mass should have practically no effect on an object's trajectory unless it is very great because it would pull Earth towards it. This simulation demonstrates that more mass would increase an object's range. Honestly, I have no idea what calculations it is making to determine the trajectory.

Physics news on Phys.org
Air resistance is proportional to area and mass to volume. For two objects of the same shape and density, therefore, the larger one will be held back less.

Also, consider a solid sphere and a hollow sphere of the same size The air resistance will be the same force for both, but will have less effect on the heavier, solid sphere.

Related to What is with this projectile simulation?

1. What is a projectile simulation?

A projectile simulation is a computer program that models the motion of a projectile, such as a ball or a bullet, in a given environment. It takes into account factors such as gravity, air resistance, and initial velocity to predict the trajectory of the projectile.

2. How does a projectile simulation work?

A projectile simulation uses mathematical equations and algorithms to calculate the position, velocity, and acceleration of the projectile at each time step. These calculations are based on the laws of physics and the initial conditions set by the user.

3. What is the purpose of a projectile simulation?

The purpose of a projectile simulation is to study and understand the behavior of a projectile in different scenarios. It can be used for educational purposes, to design and test new technologies, or to analyze real-world situations such as sports or military operations.

4. Can a projectile simulation be accurate?

Yes, a projectile simulation can be accurate if the initial conditions and physical factors are accurately inputted. However, there may be slight discrepancies due to factors such as air resistance or imperfections in the simulation model.

5. How is a projectile simulation different from a real-life projectile?

A projectile simulation is a simplified representation of a real-life projectile. It does not take into account all the variables and complexities of the real world, such as wind, air temperature, and surface conditions. Therefore, the results of a simulation may not always perfectly match those of a real-life projectile.