What is the work done on a bucket hanging in a well?

In summary, the conversation discusses the amount of work being done on an old oaken bucket hanging in a well. The bucket has a mass of 6.75 kg and is being pulled up a distance of 4.00 m by a person pulling horizontally on the rope. The question asks for the amount of work done on the bucket by the person (part a), the work done by gravity on the bucket (part b), and the total work done on the bucket (part c). The solution attempted involves using the formula W = Fd, with a force of 9.8 N and a distance of 4.0 m, resulting in an answer of 264.6 J. However, the answer in the book for
enian

Homework Statement

An old oaken bucket of mass 6.75 kg hangs in a well at the end of a rope. The rope passes over a frictionless pulley at the top of the well, and you pull horizontally on the end of the rope to raise the bucket slowly a distance of 4.00m.
(a) How much work do you do on the bucket in pulling it up?
(b) How much work does gravity do on the bucket?
(c) What si the total work done on the bucket?

The Attempt at a Solution

I couldn't get part (a). I may not be understanding it right.
I said..
W = F d
W = (9.8*6.75) * 4.0m
W = 264.6 J
*assuming by slowly they mean the upward force is just slightly more than the weight

but the answer in the back of the book for a is 3.6J??

Physics news on Phys.org
i guess the book is wrong..3.6 J to pull a 6.75kg 4meters... not even in the moon would be that work...

Is my method right though?

Last edited:

Related to What is the work done on a bucket hanging in a well?

1. What is basic mechanical work?

Basic mechanical work is the application of force to an object in order to move it from one position to another. This can include activities such as lifting, pushing, or pulling objects.

2. How is basic mechanical work calculated?

Basic mechanical work is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance it is moved. This formula can be written as W = F * d, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

3. What is the unit of measurement for basic mechanical work?

The unit of measurement for basic mechanical work is the joule (J). This unit is a measurement of energy, and it is equivalent to one newton-meter.

4. What are some real-life examples of basic mechanical work?

Some real-life examples of basic mechanical work include pushing a shopping cart, lifting a book off a shelf, or pulling a door open. These tasks all require the application of force to move an object from one position to another.

5. How does friction affect basic mechanical work?

Friction can affect basic mechanical work by acting in the opposite direction of the applied force. This means that more work may be required to overcome the resistance caused by friction, resulting in a decrease in efficiency.