Solve a Simple Work Problem and Find Out Why You're Wrong

In summary, the conversation involves someone struggling with a physics problem involving a bucket hanging in a well. They incorrectly calculate the work done in pulling the bucket up and are confused about the correct answer. They receive reassurance that their initial calculation was correct and the 3.6 J answer is incorrect.
Laban
Hello :)
I must have missed something. This problem is extremely simple and yet I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Really frustrating!

The problem:
A bucket of mass 6.75 kg hangs in a well at the end of a rope. The rope passes over a frictionless pulley at the top of the well, and you pull horizontally on the end of the rope to raise the bucket slowly a distance of 4 m.

How much work do you do on the bucket in pulling it up?

My Guess
Since you need to raise the bucket, you need to pull with a force that equals the downwards gravitational force on the bucket. This is 6.75*9.8 = 66.15 N.
Now you pull it a distance of 4 m. This is 66.15*4 = 264.6 J.

But this is wrong! It's supposed to be 3.6 J

What am I supposed to do, and more importantly, why is what I'm doing wrong? This is supposed to be so simple >.<

Physics news on Phys.org
It is simple and you're doing it correctly. That 3.6 J answer is bogus.

You have solved the problem correctly. 3.6 J is incorrect.

I sure hope you're both right. Thanks!

Related to Solve a Simple Work Problem and Find Out Why You're Wrong

1. What is a simple work problem?

A simple work problem is a calculation or scenario that involves finding the amount of work done by a person or machine in a given situation. It typically involves using the equation W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

2. How do I solve a simple work problem?

To solve a simple work problem, you first need to identify the values for force and distance in the given situation. Then, plug those values into the equation W = Fd and solve for W. Make sure to use consistent units for force and distance, such as Newtons and meters.

3. What are some common mistakes people make when solving work problems?

Some common mistakes people make when solving work problems include using the wrong equation, not converting units correctly, and not considering the direction of force. It is important to carefully read the problem and double-check your calculations to avoid these mistakes.

4. Why might my answer to a work problem be wrong?

Your answer to a work problem may be wrong if you made a mistake in your calculations, used the wrong equation, or did not convert units correctly. It is also possible that the given values in the problem were incorrect or that the problem itself was poorly worded or ambiguous.

5. How can I check if my solution to a work problem is correct?

You can check if your solution to a work problem is correct by plugging your answer back into the original equation and seeing if it balances out. You can also compare your answer to a similar problem or ask a classmate or teacher to check your work.