What is the work done in this case?

In summary, the work done by the brakes on the car is equal to the change in kinetic energy of the car, which in this case is 2000 joules. The negative acceleration does not affect the magnitude of the force, as it is already taken into account in the cosine term.
Misr
What is the work done in this case??

Homework Statement

A car of mass 1000 Kg moves with velocity 2 m/s , the brakes are applied to stop the car after 2 sec . Calculate the work done by the brakes.

Homework Equations

F=ma

Vt-V0=at
W = F*d*cos theta
d = V0t+1/2 a t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

F=ma

Vt-V0=at
0-2=2a
Then a = -1 m/s^2
k..
F = -1000 N

d = V0t+1/2 a t^2
d = 4 + (0.5*-1*4)=2m

since the force applied by the brakes is opposite to the displacement
then theta = 180 degrees

W = F*d*cos theta
W= -1000*2*-1 = 2000 joule

I'm sure that there's something wrong with my answer (to be more exact I think I've somethi wrong with the signs)

So could you help?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

You were very close.

[tex]W=\vec F\cdot \vec d[/tex]
[tex]W=|F| |d| \cos{\theta}[/tex]

You said that the magnitude of the force is negative, but that is untrue! The information that the force is opposite the displacement is already in the cosine term, putting the minus in twice is a mistake. :)

Either remember the vector formula, or the one with the absolute values to help avoid the confusion!

Another way of approaching the problem would be to use the work energy theorem which states that the work performed on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In this case, the final kinetic energy is 0, and the initial kinetic energy is 2000 joules. The work equals the final kinetic energy minus the initial kinetic energy, which is -2000 joules.

In its general form, when no other forces are present but the one doing work, the work energy theorem states:
[tex]W=\Delta K = \frac{1}{2}mv_f^2-\frac{1}{2}mv_i^2[/tex]

You said that the magnitude of the force is negative, but that is untrue! The information that the force is opposite the displacement is already in the cosine term, putting the minus in twice is a mistake. :)
Great!
How bout the negative acceleration ?How can i consider it in the problem?
Do u mean that we just use the magnitude of force (and although it is negative we just use its magnitude)?

Misr said:
Great!
How bout the negative acceleration ?How can i consider it in the problem?
Do u mean that we just use the magnitude of force (and although it is negative we just use its magnitude)?

Exactly. :) Whether the force is negative or positive (Along or opposite the displacement is what matters, not your coordinate system!), is expressed in the formula in the cosine of the angle.
The magnitude of a vector can only ever be a positive quantity, remember that, and you will avoid a lot of confusion.

Why are we doing all of this? The work done by the brakes is just the kinetic energy of the car.

I got it .
Thanks for all of you

ideasrule said:
Why are we doing all of this? The work done by the brakes is just the kinetic energy of the car.

Sometimes, when people haven't learned about kinetic energy, and are still working on forces, teachers don't usually assign work and expect students to do the problem with the energy.

Still, you're right, it's abour 70 times easier considering only energy.

Related to What is the work done in this case?

1. What is work in terms of science?

Work in science refers to the transfer of energy that occurs when a force is applied to an object and the object moves in the direction of the force. It is a measure of the amount of energy that is required to move an object.

2. How is work calculated?

Work is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. The formula for work is W = F * d, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

3. What are some examples of work being done?

Some examples of work being done include lifting an object, pushing a cart, and pulling a rope. In each of these cases, a force is applied to an object and the object moves in the direction of the force, resulting in work being done.

4. What is the unit of measurement for work?

The unit of measurement for work is the joule (J). This is equivalent to a force of one newton (N) acting over a distance of one meter (m). Other common units for work include foot-pounds (ft-lb) and kilogram-meters (kg-m).

5. How does work relate to energy?

Work and energy are closely related concepts. Work is the transfer of energy, and the amount of work done on an object is equal to the change in the object's energy. For example, lifting an object requires work and increases the object's potential energy, while pushing a moving object requires work and decreases the object's kinetic energy.