What is the Verdet Constant of SF59 Glass at 650nm?

In summary, the speaker is struggling to find a reference for the Verdet Constant of SF59 glass at 650nm for their physics capstone paper. They have searched for hours and checked multiple sources, but have not been able to find a credible source. They mention that many papers online mention the constant as 23rad/Tm, but without a credible source. They ask for help in finding a reference and provide a possible source from Schott glass.
wilsonaj4
Hello all, I am in desperate need of some help. I'm writing my last paper for my senior capstone in physics (:smile::smile::smile:) and my experiment is Faraday Rotation. I CANNOT find a reference for the Verdet Constant of SF59 glass at 650nm (found V for many other wavelengths). I have searched for hours and hours, checked through 4 different CRC handbooks, and can't find a source to cite. Now, dozens of papers online have said that the Verdet Constant for SF59 is 23rad/Tm, but no actual sources. Please, if you have a link to a credible source (CRC, NIST, etc.) with that information it would be much appreciated.

Not sure if this is the right place, but I thought here was better than the Quantum section since I'm not asking about anything rather just a constant. If it's in the wrong spot, let me know. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to What is the Verdet Constant of SF59 Glass at 650nm?

What is the Verdet Constant of SF59 Glass?

The Verdet Constant of SF59 Glass is a physical property that describes the amount of rotation that a beam of light experiences when passing through a unit length of SF59 Glass in a magnetic field. It is typically denoted by the symbol V and has units of degrees per Tesla-meter (°/Tm).

How is the Verdet Constant of SF59 Glass measured?

The Verdet Constant of SF59 Glass can be measured using a polarimeter, which is a device that measures the rotation of light passing through a material. The glass is placed in a magnetic field and the amount of rotation is recorded. The Verdet Constant can then be calculated using this measurement and the length of the glass sample.

What factors can affect the Verdet Constant of SF59 Glass?

The Verdet Constant of SF59 Glass can be affected by a few factors, including the wavelength of the light passing through it, the temperature of the glass, and the strength of the magnetic field. These factors can cause variations in the Verdet Constant and must be taken into account when performing measurements.

Is the Verdet Constant of SF59 Glass a constant value?

Yes, the Verdet Constant of SF59 Glass is a constant value for a specific wavelength of light and a specific temperature. However, it can vary slightly depending on the strength of the magnetic field. It is important to use the appropriate Verdet Constant for the specific conditions in which the glass is being used.

What applications is the Verdet Constant of SF59 Glass used for?

The Verdet Constant of SF59 Glass is commonly used in optical devices such as polarimeters, magneto-optical modulators, and Faraday rotators. It is also used in research and development of new technologies, such as optical isolators and optical communication systems.