What is the velocity of an object dropped from a high altitude?

In summary, a 1000kg object is dropped from a height of 498,447 meters above the Earth's surface and the question is what will be its velocity upon impact. Using the equations for energy equivalency and the universal gravitation equation, the velocity is calculated to be approximately 3,001 meters per second. However, the book has a different answer which was determined to be incorrect. The correct answer is approximately 2,052 meters per second, taking into account the increase in gravity as the object falls.
zimo

Homework Statement

An object (mass=1000kg) is dropped from 498,447 metres above the Earth's surface, what will be it's velocity upon impact?

Homework Equations

Energy equivalency.

The Attempt at a Solution

2G*(Earth's Mass)*((1/(earth radius))-(1/earth radius + 498,447))=v^2

v[tex]\approx[/tex]3,001 m/s

Everything looks O.K., but the book has a different answer, am I doing it right and the book is wrong or vice versa?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The PE at the top will equal the KE before impact:

m*g*h = ½*m*v^2

I get v = 98,94 m/s

EDIT: And welcome to physicsforums.com :-)

Hmmm... sorry for the misunderstanding, but -

First,all of the above numbers in my original message was written in UK/US style - meaning a comma ',' is used as a thousands separator (1,000= a thousand, 1,000,000 = a million and so on). Do you all prefer to use the SI numbering, using a blank space as a separator (1 000 000 for a million, for example)?

Second, I used the universal gravitation equations in much the same way you used the mgh for local-close-altitude equations.

Please, review my solution in the original message and find what's wrong with it, if you may,

Thanks in advance,

UPDATE: I took those parameters as Radius and Mass of the earth: R=6.4*
10^6, M=5.98*10^24)

Last edited:
I also got the same answer ><.
What's the answer in the book?

I checked it with my tutor, the book is wrong :-)

Viva la studention!

g = GM / r^2
= 8.45492803 N/kg

Ep = mgh
= 1000 . 8.454 . 498,447
= 4,214,333,512 J

Ek = mv^2
4214333512 = 1000.v^2
v = sqrt(4214333.512)
= 2052 ms^-1

That's what I got.

Just having a little bit of a think here, gravity will increase as the object is falling. This increase in gravity can be thought of as an extra acceleration, this means that the force being applied on the mass will vary with position of the mass. I'm not sure how to include this in the calculation.

Ep = mgh, I think only applies when the h is small enough that g doesn't change significantly. So, we'll only get an approximation.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Related to What is the velocity of an object dropped from a high altitude?

1. What is simple gravity crash?

Simple gravity crash is a basic physics concept that involves the force of gravity causing objects to fall or collide with each other.

2. How does gravity affect a crash?

Gravity affects a crash by pulling objects towards each other, causing them to collide with a greater force.

3. Is there a difference between simple gravity crash and other types of crashes?

Yes, there are other types of crashes that involve forces other than gravity, such as collisions caused by momentum or external forces.

4. Can simple gravity crash be calculated?

Yes, simple gravity crash can be calculated using Newton's laws of motion and the equation F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. How can simple gravity crash be minimized or prevented?

Simple gravity crash can be minimized or prevented by controlling the speed and direction of objects, increasing the distance between objects, or using barriers to prevent collisions.