Calulate the distance of objects in Earth's orbit

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to calculate the distance of objects on Earth's surface using the orbital speed and acceleration equations. The speaker mentions the possibility of using trigonometric solutions and suggests investigating orbit determination methods that utilize observations from ground stations. The complexity of the methods depends on the available observables.
VinnyO

Homework Statement

I am working on a report dealing with the velocity and acceleration of objects in Earth's surface based on distance from the Earth and thus far I have used the orbital speed equation and the acceleration equation. To get dive deeper into the math I would like to attempt to calculate the distance of these objects based on observations from Earth's surface. I have yet to fine something on the internet.

Homework Equations

v = SQRT(G*M/R)
a = G*M/R^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have figured that there is likely a trigonometric solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless there's a particular scenario that you have in mind, it sounds like might want to investigate orbit determination methods. There are several that are based on observations from ground stations. The complexity depends upon what observables are available (just angles, angles and distance, radial velocity, etc.).

Related to Calulate the distance of objects in Earth's orbit

1. How do you calculate the distance of objects in Earth's orbit?

To calculate the distance of objects in Earth's orbit, you can use the formula d = √(G*M*T^2 / 4π^2), where d is the distance, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the Earth, and T is the orbital period of the object.

2. What units are used to measure the distance of objects in Earth's orbit?

The distance of objects in Earth's orbit is usually measured in kilometers (km) or astronomical units (AU). One AU is equal to the average distance between the Earth and the Sun, which is approximately 149.6 million km.

3. Can the distance of objects in Earth's orbit change over time?

Yes, the distance of objects in Earth's orbit can change over time due to various factors such as gravitational pull from other celestial bodies, solar wind, and atmospheric drag. However, these changes are usually very small and are not noticeable in the short term.

4. How accurate are the calculations of distance for objects in Earth's orbit?

The calculations of distance for objects in Earth's orbit are generally very accurate, but they may have a small margin of error due to uncertainties in the measurements of the mass and orbital parameters of the Earth and the object being observed.

5. What are some methods used to measure the distance of objects in Earth's orbit?

Some methods used to measure the distance of objects in Earth's orbit include radar ranging, triangulation, and parallax measurements. These methods use various techniques such as bouncing radio waves off the object or observing its position from different points on Earth to calculate its distance.