What is the Velocity of a Falling Body with Friction in Freefall?

In summary, a body with mass M is dropped from an infinite height and falls in freefall. The air's friction on the body is defined by f=-kv^2, with k being a constant. To find the velocity after an infinite amount of time, we can use Newton's 2nd law and set the acceleration equal to zero to get the stable state information, which is when the body reaches its terminal velocity. This results in v(t=>inf) = sqrt(mg/k). There is no need to work with limits in this case.
devanlevin
a small body, with the mass of M is dropped from an infinite height falling freefall, the air's friction on the body is defined by ==>f=-kv^2, k=const.
find the velocity after an infinite amount of time.

using Newtons 2nd law,
F=ma=mg-kv^2
a=g-(kv^2)/m

now, how do i find the velocity, i thought of integratning the acceleration, but i have a dependence on v in the acceleration..
aat first i thought it was meant to be a=g-(kt^2)/m
the answer is

v(t=>inf)---->sqrt(mg/k)
do i need to work with limits to reach this?? what must i do?

Physics news on Phys.org

[itex]
m \ddot{y} = -mg + k \dot{y}^2
[/itex]

with messy differential equations we can still often get stable state information out which is nice. The stable state will be when the mass is no longer accelerating any longer (it's hit terminal velocity). So set
[itex]
\ddot{y} = 0
[/itex]
and see what you get!

thanx

np man, glad I could help

Related to What is the Velocity of a Falling Body with Friction in Freefall?

1. What is the formula for calculating the velocity of a falling body?

The formula for calculating the velocity of a falling body is v = gt, where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time.

2. How does the mass of a falling body affect its velocity?

The mass of a falling body does not affect its velocity. All objects, regardless of their mass, will accelerate towards the ground at the same rate due to gravity.

3. What is the units of measurement for velocity of a falling body?

The units of measurement for velocity of a falling body are meters per second (m/s).

4. How does air resistance affect the velocity of a falling body?

Air resistance can slow down the velocity of a falling body. As an object falls, it encounters air resistance, which is a force that opposes its motion. This can cause the object to reach a terminal velocity, where the force of air resistance is equal to the force of gravity and the object stops accelerating.

5. Can the velocity of a falling body ever be negative?

Yes, the velocity of a falling body can be negative if it is moving upwards. For example, when an object is thrown upwards, it will have a positive velocity at first, but as it reaches its maximum height and starts to fall back down, its velocity will become negative.