What is the variable theta of omega in a series RL cct?

In summary, the variable "theta of omega" in a series RL circuit refers to the part of the phase angle between voltage and current that's a function of frequency.
kl055
What is the variable "theta of omega" in a series RL cct?

Homework Statement

Hi

I'm not looking for a complete solution to this problem. My question concerns just one specific part of the solution to part A:
why is tan θ(ω) = ωL/R?

and what θ(ω) represent? how does it relate to the current? I took the introductory EC course almost two years ago so I need a refresher. Which section should I review? (I am using Electric Circuits 9ed by Nilsson)

I was able to complete the entirety of part A except for that part.

Also, is it true that tan [-θ(ω)+90°] = R/Lω? If so, then my answer is correct because I got that answer, but in cosine form. So the +90 would validate my answer.

Homework Equations

PROBLEM
13_35.jpg

13_35_2.jpg

SOLUTION
13_35_S.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi kl055! welcome to pf! :smile:
kl055 said:
why is tan θ(ω) = ωL/R?

and what θ(ω) represent? how does it relate to the current?

Also, is it true that tan [-θ(ω)+90°] = R/Lω?]

it's simple trig …

Acosφ + Bsinφ = A(cosφ + (B/A)sinφ)

and cos(φ+θ) = cosφcosθ - sinφsinθ = cosθ(cosφ - tanθsinφ)

so if we define θ so that tanθ = -B/A,

then Acosφ + Bsinφ = (A/cosθ)cos(φ+θ) :wink:

(and tan(90°- θ) = cotθ = 1/tanθ)

Show us your computation of K1.

That way I can show you why θ(ω) = tan-1(ωL/R).
θ(ω) is part of the phase angle between voltage and current. It's the part that's a function of frequency wheras phi and -90 deg. are constant angles, independent of frequency.

IMG_20130520_225200.jpg

IMG_20130520_225235.jpg

IMG_20130520_225433.jpg

IMG_20130520_225510.jpg
I did a partial fraction expansion, solved the system of equations, then rewrote K1 using trig laws.

kl055 said:
IMG_20130520_225200.jpg

IMG_20130520_225235.jpg

IMG_20130520_225433.jpg

IMG_20130520_225510.jpg

I did a partial fraction expansion, solved the system of equations, then rewrote K1 using trig laws.

So you're happy with what you did, no more questions?

Yes. I don't have a problem with the math but I was wondering how to conceptually interpret the theta angle. You mentioned the "phase angle between voltage and current" which indicates that I need to review the phasor section of the textbook. Thanks for the help.
I've got quite a bit of reading to do =/
I'll post here again if I have trouble with the textbook's explanation.

Related to What is the variable theta of omega in a series RL cct?

1. What is the variable theta of omega in a series RL cct?

The variable theta of omega (θ) in a series RL circuit refers to the phase angle between the voltage and current in the circuit. It is represented as the Greek letter theta (θ) and is measured in degrees or radians.

2. How is theta of omega calculated in a series RL cct?

The phase angle theta (θ) in a series RL circuit can be calculated using the formula θ = tan^-1 (XL/R), where XL is the inductive reactance and R is the resistance in the circuit. This formula is derived from the Pythagorean theorem for right triangles.

3. What does the value of theta of omega indicate in a series RL cct?

The value of theta (θ) in a series RL circuit indicates the phase relationship between the voltage and current in the circuit. A positive value indicates that the current lags behind the voltage, while a negative value indicates that the current leads the voltage.

4. How does the value of theta of omega affect the behavior of a series RL cct?

The value of theta (θ) in a series RL circuit affects the behavior of the circuit by determining the current flow in the circuit. If the value is positive, the circuit will behave as an inductive circuit, while a negative value will cause the circuit to behave as a capacitive circuit.

5. Can the value of theta of omega change in a series RL cct?

Yes, the value of theta (θ) can change in a series RL circuit depending on the frequency of the input voltage. As the frequency increases, the reactance of the inductor changes, causing the value of theta to also change. This is known as the frequency-dependent behavior of theta in a series RL circuit.