Finding the Transfer function of an RL series circuit

In summary, the circuit can be represented by a high pass filter with a cutoff frequency of 1000 rad/s. The transfer function can be simplified to S/(S+1000) and the magnitude and phase angle can be found by plugging in jω for S. The magnitude is equal to 1/sqrt(1+(1000/ω)^2) and the phase angle is equal to arctan(-1000/ω).
Stephengilbert1

Homework Statement

Attached image has full question and information.
Determine the transfer function of the circuit. I've done this part, what I am struggling with is converting it into the form requested.
R = 10 KΩ
L = 10 H

Homework Equations

Voltage divider: Vo = R2/(R1 + R2) Vin
Impedance of an Inductor = JωL

The Attempt at a Solution

T(ω) = jωL/(R+jωL)
= 1/(1+R/jωL)
= 1/(1+(1000/jω)
Methods I have attempted at to turn this into the required form
  • Multiply by complex conjugate, just got even messier
  • Graphics calculator (i think this worked but will not be allowed in my test)

Attachments

• Transfer Function.pdf
    67.9 KB · Views: 472
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Stephengilbert1, Welcome to Physics Forums!

The form they're looking for is essentially a phasor: magnitude and phase angle. So you need to take your transfer function and derive from it expressions for magnitude and phase angle, ##A(\omega)## and ##\phi(\omega)##.

Few things, I would take this (= 1/(1+(1000/jω) and put it in proper form.

= jw/(jw+1000)

In other words, you had it in proper form then "simplified" into a improper form. Remember that "S" and "JW" can be interchanged at will on these transfer functions.
So you can see that we can transfer this to S/(S+1000). Looks a lot like a high pass filter. Thats a form you likely recognize and can now possibly transform into the form they want.

Also, plug in values for 0 and infinity into your w and solve. This will always give you a general shape of your gain or bode plots. Also this will give you your phase angle at any given frequency. Same thing if you want frequencies in between the extremes, you can just plug and chug.

psparky said:
Few things, I would take this (= 1/(1+(1000/jω) and put it in proper form.

= jw/(jw+1000)

In other words, you had it in proper form then "simplified" into a improper form. Remember that "S" and "JW" can be interchanged at will on these transfer functions.
So you can see that we can transfer this to S/(S+1000). Looks a lot like a high pass filter. Thats a form you likely recognize and can now possibly transform into the form they want.

Also, plug in values for 0 and infinity into your w and solve. This will always give you a general shape of your gain or bode plots. Also this will give you your phase angle at any given frequency. Same thing if you want frequencies in between the extremes, you can just plug and chug.

Ok I understand some of this:
  • It is a high pass filter because at high frequencies the inductor acts as an open circuit
  • At ω = 0, T(ω) =0
  • At ω = ∞, T(ω) = 1
  • I can also figure out the break/cutoff frequency, which is asked in the following question, ωb = R/L = 1000 rad/s
The part I am still stuck on is manipulating S/(S+1000) (from rectangular?) to the polar form the question asks for.
Is it a matter of algebraic manipulation or am I not recognising something obvious?

Stephengilbert1 said:
The part I am still stuck on is manipulating S/(S+1000) (from rectangular?) to the polar form the question asks for.
Is it a matter of algebraic manipulation or am I not recognising something obvious?
You're looking for expressions for the magnitude and phase angle. Plug in jω for S. Then:
$$\left| \frac{jω}{jω + 1000} \right| = ?$$

It'll be some expression involving ω.

How might you find the phase angle? Hint: rearrange your transfer function into separate real and imaginary parts (the complex conjugate method you mentioned earlier will be helpful; don't worry if it looks a bit messy due to the denominators of the two parts, they should disappear when you find the angle).

gneill said:
You're looking for expressions for the magnitude and phase angle. Plug in jω for S. Then:
$$\left| \frac{jω}{jω + 1000} \right| = ?$$

It'll be some expression involving ω.

How might you find the phase angle? Hint: rearrange your transfer function into separate real and imaginary parts (the complex conjugate method you mentioned earlier will be helpful; don't worry if it looks a bit messy due to the denominators of the two parts, they should disappear when you find the angle).

Using complex conjugate I get:
(ω^2)/(ω^2+1000000) + (1000 j ω)/(ω^2+1000000)
This is at least separate in real and imaginary parts.

For the answer to this question my attempt is
A(ω) = √ (ω^2/(ω^2+1000000))^2 + ((1000 ω)/(ω^2+1000000))^2
Φ(ω) = arctan((1000 ω)/(ω^2+1000000) / (ω^2/(ω^2+1000000))

Is this the full answer to the question? (Obviously sub into the Ae^j form)

Stephengilbert1 said:
Using complex conjugate I get:
(ω^2)/(ω^2+1000000) + (1000 j ω)/(ω^2+1000000)
This is at least separate in real and imaginary parts.
Okay.
For the answer to this question my attempt is
A(ω) = √ (ω^2/(ω^2+1000000))^2 + ((1000 ω)/(ω^2+1000000))^2
Φ(ω) = arctan((1000 ω)/(ω^2+1000000) / (ω^2/(ω^2+1000000))

Is this the full answer to the question? (Obviously sub into the Ae^j form)
No, you've overcomplicated things for the amplitude, and failed to simplify the phase expression. The idea of splitting the transfer function into separate real and imaginary parts was in order to get at the phase angle, not the magnitude.

Starting with the phase, within the arctan function you have a ratio of two fractions. The fractions have identical denominators. Shouldn't you be able to cancel them? What's left? Any more cancellation possible?

For the amplitude, just work from the original transfer function. What's the magnitude of its numerator, jω? What's the magnitude of its denominator? What does that leave you with?

gneill said:
Okay.

No, you've overcomplicated things for the amplitude, and failed to simplify the phase expression. The idea of splitting the transfer function into separate real and imaginary parts was in order to get at the phase angle, not the magnitude.

Starting with the phase, within the arctan function you have a ratio of two fractions. The fractions have identical denominators. Shouldn't you be able to cancel them? What's left? Any more cancellation possible?

For the amplitude, just work from the original transfer function. What's the magnitude of its numerator, jω? What's the magnitude of its denominator? What does that leave you with?
Okay i understand the phase simplification,
Φ = arctan(1000/ω)

For amplitude the numerator magnitude is ω?
But I'm not quite sure how to get the magnitude of the denominator, can i go:
√(ω^2 + 1000^2)

Which would make the total amplitude ω/√(ω^2 + 1000^2)

Stephengilbert1 said:
Okay i understand the phase simplification,
Φ = arctan(1000/ω)
Looks good.
For amplitude the numerator magnitude is ω?
But I'm not quite sure how to get the magnitude of the denominator, can i go:
√(ω^2 + 1000^2)
Yup. It's a simple complex number, so that's its amplitude.
Which would make the total amplitude ω/√(ω^2 + 1000^2)
Yup. That looks good too!

gneill said:
Looks good.

Yup. It's a simple complex number, so that's its amplitude.

Yup. That looks good too!
Thanks for all the help.

Thanks guys, that was the part that I did not know. I sure danced around it though!

Related to Finding the Transfer function of an RL series circuit

What is a transfer function?

A transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output of a system. It describes how the system responds to different input signals.

How do I find the transfer function of an RL series circuit?

To find the transfer function of an RL series circuit, you can use the formula H(s) = Ls / (R + Ls), where L is the inductance in henries and R is the resistance in ohms.

Can I use the transfer function to analyze the behavior of an RL series circuit?

Yes, the transfer function can be used to analyze the behavior of an RL series circuit. It can help you understand how the circuit responds to different input signals and how the output changes over time.

What are the advantages of using a transfer function for an RL series circuit?

Some advantages of using a transfer function for an RL series circuit include the ability to easily analyze and predict circuit behavior, the ability to design and optimize the circuit for specific performance goals, and the ability to compare different circuits with different component values.

Are there any limitations to using the transfer function for an RL series circuit?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the transfer function for an RL series circuit. It assumes that the circuit is linear, time-invariant, and free from noise and disturbances. It also does not take into account any non-linear effects that may occur in the circuit.