What is the Type and Orientation of Conics in Problems a and b?

In summary, conics type and orientation refer to the shape and orientation of a conic section, which is a curve formed by the intersection of a cone with a plane. There are five types of conics: parabolas, circles, ellipses, hyperbolas, and degenerate conics, each with their own unique properties. Conics can also be classified as either vertical or horizontal orientation. The eccentricity of a conic is a measure of its shape, and conic sections have many practical applications in fields such as astronomy, engineering, and sports.
camino

Homework Statement

There are 2 problems a and b.
I've solved for both already.
I just need to know how to describe them by type and orientation.
In other words, what does what I got tell me in regards to type and orientation and how do I know this for future problems? (e.g. hyperbola or ellipse oriented vertically or horizontally)

a) (x-3)^2 (y-1)^2
-------- - -------- = 1
9 1

b) (x+1)^2 (y-1)^2
-------- + -------- = 1
25 4

Physics news on Phys.org
i see this didnt post right.
the 1 should be under the 2nd fraction in a)
the 4 should be under the 2nd fraction in b)

Related to What is the Type and Orientation of Conics in Problems a and b?

What are conics type and orientation?

Conics type and orientation refer to the shape and orientation of a conic section, which is a curve formed by the intersection of a cone with a plane. The type of conic depends on the angle at which the plane intersects the cone, and the orientation refers to the direction in which the curve opens.

What are the five types of conics?

The five types of conics are parabolas, circles, ellipses, hyperbolas, and degenerate conics. Parabolas have one focus and one directrix, circles have a constant distance from a center point, ellipses have two foci, hyperbolas have two branches that open in opposite directions, and degenerate conics are formed when the plane intersects the cone at a specific angle.

How are conics classified based on their orientation?

Conics can be classified as either vertical or horizontal orientation. A vertical conic has a major axis that is parallel to the y-axis, and a horizontal conic has a major axis that is parallel to the x-axis.

What is the significance of the eccentricity of a conic?

The eccentricity of a conic is a measure of how "squished" or elongated the curve is. It is calculated as the distance between the foci divided by the length of the major axis. A higher eccentricity indicates a more elongated shape, while a lower eccentricity indicates a more circular shape.

How are conics used in real life?

Conic sections have numerous real-life applications, such as in astronomy to describe the orbits of planets, in engineering to design parabolic reflectors for satellite dishes, in architecture to create dome structures, and in optics to model the shape of lenses. They are also used in sports, such as in the trajectory of a baseball or a golf ball.