What is the true definition of a crest in physics?

In summary, there is some confusion around the definition of a crest in regards to waves. While in colloquial speech it may refer to the entire curved section above the equilibrium position, in physics it specifically refers to the point of maximum displacement along the wave.
nilic1

Homework Statement

I was taught that a crest is the section of the wave above rest position.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Now that I am studying Physics at higher level I am getting mixed up as sometimes I encounter situations where a crest is the whole part/section of the wave above rest position but in other cases it is referred to as the highest point of the wave above rest position. So my question is... is a crest a whole section above rest position or just the highest point above it?

Physics news on Phys.org
In colloquial speech, "crest" might refer loosely to the curved section of the wave above the equilibrium position. In physics, we usually mean the point along the wave where the wave reaches its maximum displacement.

Related to What is the true definition of a crest in physics?

1. What is a crest of a transverse wave?

A crest of a transverse wave is the highest point or peak of the wave. It is where the amplitude, or maximum displacement of the wave, is at its highest.

2. How is a crest different from a trough in a transverse wave?

A trough is the lowest point or dip in a transverse wave, while a crest is the highest point. They are opposite in terms of displacement and can be seen as mirror images of each other.

3. What causes a crest to form in a transverse wave?

A crest forms when a transverse wave is traveling through a medium and the particles of the medium are displaced upwards from their resting position, creating a wave crest at that point.

4. Can a crest be seen in all transverse waves?

Yes, a crest can be seen in all transverse waves. It is a defining characteristic of transverse waves, along with their perpendicular motion to the direction of wave propagation.

5. How does the frequency of a transverse wave affect the height of its crests?

The frequency of a transverse wave does not affect the height of its crests. The amplitude of the wave, or the amount of energy it carries, is what determines the height of the crests.