Wave constructive destructive interference

In summary, the figure shows two sets of water waves created by two sources, labeled "A" and "B." Each individual wave crest from either source is 5 mm above the undisturbed water level. At the point marked "x," where the waves interfere, the displacement of the water can be either +5 mm, -5 mm, +10 mm, 0 mm, or -10 mm. The exact displacement depends on the interference of the two waves.
Tarnjot Bains

Homework Statement

The figure shows two sets of water waves, created by two sources labeled "A" and "B." The solid half-circles represent wave crests from A, and the dashed half-circles represent wave crests from B. Suppose that individual wave crests from either source A or source B alone are 5 mm above the level of the undisturbed water. Then the displacement of the water [above or below the level of the undisturbed water] at the point marked "x" [with the arrow pointing toward it] is

1. +5 mm.
2. -5 mm.
3. +10 mm.
4. 0 mm.
5. -10 mm.
ewe8qm

img url: https://ibb.co/ewe8qm

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

Assuming that the two waves interfere at the point I guessed two troughs would interfere and I'd get a displacement of -10, but I'm not quite sure if this is what would occur.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!
I think your reasoning is correct.

Likes Tarnjot Bains
TSny said:
Welcome to PF!
I think your reasoning is correct.
Thank you!

Related to Wave constructive destructive interference

1. What is wave interference?

Wave interference is the phenomenon that occurs when two or more waves meet and combine to form a new wave. This can happen when waves of the same or different frequencies overlap in space.

2. What is constructive interference?

Constructive interference is a type of wave interference where two waves of the same frequency meet and combine to form a new wave with a greater amplitude. This happens when the crests of two waves align and reinforce each other, resulting in a larger wave.

3. What is destructive interference?

Destructive interference is a type of wave interference where two waves of the same frequency meet and combine to form a new wave with a smaller amplitude. This happens when the crests of one wave align with the troughs of another wave, causing them to cancel each other out and resulting in a smaller wave.

4. How does interference affect sound waves?

Interference can affect sound waves by changing their amplitude and producing areas of increased and decreased sound intensity. In constructive interference, the amplitude of the sound wave increases, resulting in a louder sound. In destructive interference, the amplitude decreases, resulting in a quieter sound.

5. What are some real-life applications of wave interference?

Wave interference has many practical applications, such as in noise-cancelling headphones, where destructive interference is used to cancel out external noise. It is also important in the study of optics, where constructive and destructive interference of light waves can create patterns such as diffraction and interference fringes. Interference also plays a role in musical instruments, where the interaction of sound waves creates unique tones and harmonics.