What is the tension in the rope holding a helium-filled balloon at a party?

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving Bozo the clown filling a balloon with helium and tying it to a rope. The problem required finding the tension in the rope, using the equation Fnet=0=Fb-Ft-mg and taking into account the buoyant force and the mass of the balloon and its contents. After some trial and error, the correct solution was found by using the correct volume of the balloon (4/3 pi r^3) and the density of air (1.29 kg/m^3).
awertag

Homework Statement

Bozo the clown brings an empty birthday balloon with a mass of 0.0120 kg to your party. Bozo fills the balloon with helium of density 0.181 kg/m3. The filled balloon is a perfect sphere with a radius of 0.500 m. Bozo ties the balloon to a rope and holds is so that it is vertical. What is the tension in the rope?

Homework Equations

Ft= tension force
Fb=buoyant force
π=pi
4πr^3=volume of sphere

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried Fnet=0 = Fb-Ft-mg

Ft=Fb-mg=(densityfluid)(Vdisplaced)(g) - (m)(g)

[(4π(.5)^3)(9.8)] - [(.012)(9.8)] ==> Ft=2.6687 N which is obviously not correct, as I'm asking this question.

Any good help is greatly appreciated!

-aea

Physics news on Phys.org
awertag said:
4πr^3=volume of sphere
Double check this formula.

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried Fnet=0 = Fb-Ft-mg
That's good.

Ft=Fb-mg=(densityfluid)(Vdisplaced)(g) - (m)(g)

[(4π(.5)^3)(9.8)] - [(.012)(9.8)] ==> Ft=2.6687 N which is obviously not correct, as I'm asking this question.
What's the density of the displaced fluid? What's the total mass of the balloon plus its contents?

well the density is given = .181 kg/m^3. But I see what you're saying: the total mass is .012 PLUS the mass of helium...so I would find that with density (.181) times volume (1.5708) so mass total equals .2963 kg?

awertag said:
well the density is given = .181 kg/m^3.
That's the density of the helium. But the buoyant force equals the weight of the displaced fluid. What's the density of the displaced fluid?

But I see what you're saying: the total mass is .012 PLUS the mass of helium...so I would find that with density (.181) times volume (1.5708) so mass total equals .2963 kg?
Right idea, but wrong volume.

oHH okay so the density of air which is 1.29 kg/m^3.
But why is the volume wrong?

oh gosh never mind, i see the volume is 4/3 pi r cubed haha :) thanks ill try it now

But now i get a final answer with a negative force, so that can't be right...

Ok I've finally gotten it! Thank you so much. Have a great day :)

What is tension density buoyant force?

Tension density buoyant force is a force that arises from differences in density between two substances, causing tension and resulting in an upward force on an object immersed in the fluid.

How is tension density buoyant force calculated?

Tension density buoyant force can be calculated using the formula Fb = ρVg, where ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the displaced fluid, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What factors affect the magnitude of tension density buoyant force?

The magnitude of tension density buoyant force is affected by the density of the fluid, the volume of the displaced fluid, and the acceleration due to gravity. It is also affected by the shape and size of the object immersed in the fluid.

What is the relationship between buoyancy and tension density buoyant force?

Buoyancy is the upward force exerted on an object immersed in a fluid, and it is directly related to tension density buoyant force. The greater the tension density buoyant force, the greater the buoyancy of the object will be.

How is tension density buoyant force related to Archimedes' principle?

Tension density buoyant force is related to Archimedes' principle, which states that the buoyant force on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces. This principle explains why objects float or sink in a fluid and is directly related to the tension density buoyant force acting on the object.