What is the tension in a climber's rope while rappelling down a cliff?

In summary, the climber is rappelling down a cliff and has paused with her feet against the icy, frictionless rock face. A rope is attached to her near her waist and there is 5.25 m of rope between her waist and the attachment point. The task is to calculate the tension in the rope. The solution involves finding the angle using cos = adjacent/hypotenuse and then using the tension equation: T + (-mg) = ma.
lacar213

Homework Statement

A climber of mass 64.8 kg is rappelling down a cliff, but has momentarily paused. She stands with her feet pressed against the icy, frictionless rock face and her body horizontal. A rope of negligible mass is attached to her near her waist, 1.04 m horizontally from the rock face. There is 5.25 m of rope between her waist and where the rope is attached to a chock in the face of the vertical wall she is descending. Calculate the tension in the rope.

Homework Equations

FL + (-mg cos theta) = 0
t + (-mg) = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that I have to find the angle by using cos = adj./hyp. but that answer comes out very small and doesn't seem correct
or should I find the acceleration first and use t + (-mg) = ma

Physics news on Phys.org
lacar213 said:
FL + (-mg cos theta) = 0
t + (-mg) = ma

I think that I have to find the angle by using cos = adj./hyp. but that answer comes out very small and doesn't seem correct
or should I find the acceleration first and use t + (-mg) = ma

Hi lacar213! :smile:

(It would help if you actually showed us what you did … for example, what is your theta? :frown:)

I don't understand what you think the acceleration is … the rock isn't falling, is it? :redface:

1) What isthis titled "airplane at constant velocity"?

2) She has "her body horizontal"? ?? Why?

HallsofIvy said:
1) What isthis titled "airplane at constant velocity"?

2) She has "her body horizontal"? ?? Why?

"airplane at constant velocity" was the section in my book where this problem is from

tiny-tim said:
Hi lacar213! :smile:

(It would help if you actually showed us what you did … for example, what is your theta? :frown:)

I don't understand what you think the acceleration is … the rock isn't falling, is it? :redface:

The only thing I tried was finding the angle - but that doesn't seem correct, I don't know what to do from there. The equation going along with this problem is looking for LIFT which has nothing to do with the problem given. The tension equation contains acceleration
T + (-mg) = ma

Related to What is the tension in a climber's rope while rappelling down a cliff?

Question 1: What is an airplane at constant velocity?

An airplane at constant velocity is an airplane that is moving at a steady speed in a straight line without changing direction. This means that the airplane is not accelerating or decelerating.

Question 2: How does an airplane maintain constant velocity?

An airplane maintains constant velocity by balancing the forces acting on it. The thrust from the engines propels the airplane forward, while the drag from the air resistance slows it down. By adjusting the thrust and the angle of the wings, the airplane can maintain a constant speed.

Question 3: What factors can affect an airplane's constant velocity?

The main factors that can affect an airplane's constant velocity are changes in air resistance, changes in wind speed and direction, and changes in the weight of the airplane due to fuel consumption. Other factors such as altitude and temperature can also have an impact.

Question 4: Why is it important for an airplane to maintain constant velocity?

Maintaining constant velocity is important for an airplane because it ensures a smooth and comfortable flight for passengers. It also allows the airplane to cover long distances efficiently and safely. Additionally, constant velocity is necessary for the airplane to maintain its altitude and stability.

Question 5: Can an airplane's velocity ever be truly constant?

Technically, an airplane's velocity can never be truly constant due to external factors such as changes in wind speed and direction. However, pilots and autopilot systems are trained to maintain a very close approximation of constant velocity to provide a stable and safe flight for passengers.