Calculating Rope Tension & Foot Force for Mountain Climber

In summary, the mountain climber is rappelling down a vertical wall. The rope attaches to a buckle strapped to the climber's waist 15 cm to the right of his center of gravity and makes an angle of θ = 23° with the wall. The climber weighs 616 N. The distance from his center of gravity to the wall is 91 cm and the distance from his feet on the wall to the buckle is 106 cm. The tension in the rope is found to be 572.8 N. The magnitude and direction of the contact force exerted by the wall on the climber's feet is found to be 87.17 N in the y direction.
dvolpe

Homework Statement

A mountain climber is rappelling down a vertical wall. The rope attaches to a buckle strapped to the climber's waist 15 cm to the right of his center of gravity and makes an angle of θ = 23° with the wall. The climber weighs 616 N. The distance from his center of gravity to the wall is 91 cm and the distance from his feet on the wall to the buckle is 106 cm
(a) Find the tension in the rope
(b) Find the magnitude and direction of the contact force exerted by the wall on the climber's feet.

Homework Equations

F = ma
g = 9.8
Weight of climber = 616 N = vertical force of ropes tension plus force against feet
Vertical component of rope tension force = total tension cos 23 degrees
Force on feet = ?

The Attempt at a Solution

616 N = F total * .921 + ?

I am having real difficulty with this as I don't understand the importance of the center of gravity.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi dvolpe! welcome to pf! :wink:
dvolpe said:
I am having real difficulty with this as I don't understand the importance of the center of gravity.

the importance is that the the weight of the climber acts through the centre of gravity (the centre of mass) …

when you take moments, the further out the centre of gravity is, the larger the moment (of the weight) will be, and that will change the reaction force at the climber's feet :smile:

So the sum of the y components of the rope tension, wall force, weight of the climber = 0. The x component of the wall force equals the x component of the tension. Using the buckle as a axis, the sum of the torques equals 0 in the y direction or the y force of wall times .106 m = weight times .091. Force of wall in y direction is 87.17 N. Then substituting in back into first sentence and tension of rope = 572.8 N. The wall force is equal to the square root of the sum of its x and y components. Already have the y component; x component = force of tension in x direction or T cos theta. Solve for wall force. The direction of the wall force is solved by trig: sin theta = y comp/total wall force or theta = 21.2 degrees. Does this approach seem correct? I am concerned about using the correct distances in the sum of torques equation.

Last edited:
hi dvolpe! :smile:
dvolpe said:
… the sum of the torques equals 0 in the y direction …

are you treating the x and y directions separately for moments (torques)?

you can't do that!

a vertical force of strength F at perpendicular distance d has the same moment (torque) as a horizontal force of strength F at perpendicular distance d (so long as they're both clockwise or both anti-clockwise)

more generally, what is important is the direction of the moment … d x F is out of the page, and therefore has to be added to all other moments that are out of the page :smile:

start again (and, for taking moments, it's easiest if you choose a point which eliminates as many unknowns as possible :wink:)​

Ok..what I meant to say is that I selected the point of the buckle to take the moment as the forces in the y direction are perpendicular to the point but the forces in the x direction are not and therefore do not contribute to the moment at the buckle. That point gives me the least unknowns. I solved it as I indicated above..is this correct? Thank you.

Last edited:
dvolpe said:
Ok..what I meant to say is that I selected the point of the buckle to take the moment as the forces in the y direction are perpendicular to the point but the forces in the x direction are not and therefore do not contribute to the moment at the buckle.

no, at the climber's feet, both the x and y components of the reaction force have a moment about the buckle

(btw it occurs to me that since there are only three forces on the climber, they must all go through the same point, which instantly gives you the direction of that reaction force :wink:)

Related to Calculating Rope Tension & Foot Force for Mountain Climber

1. What factors contribute to rope tension while mountain climbing?

Rope tension is affected by several factors, including the weight of the climber, the angle of the rope, the friction between the rope and the anchor points, and the elasticity of the rope itself. As the climber ascends, their weight increases the tension on the rope, while the angle of the rope can also affect the tension by creating more or less resistance. Friction between the rope and the anchor points can also increase tension, as well as the elasticity of the rope.

2. How do you calculate the tension on a mountain climbing rope?

The tension on a mountain climbing rope can be calculated using the formula T = (W + F) / sin θ, where T is the tension, W is the weight of the climber, F is the friction force, and θ is the angle of the rope. This formula takes into account the various factors that contribute to rope tension and can be used to determine the amount of force being exerted on the rope at any given point.

3. What is the ideal tension for a mountain climbing rope?

The ideal tension for a mountain climbing rope depends on the specific situation and the climber's preferences. Generally, a tension that is too high can put excessive strain on the rope and anchor points, while a tension that is too low can increase the risk of the rope becoming slack and causing the climber to fall. It is important for climbers to find a tension that is comfortable for them and allows for safe and efficient climbing.

4. How can you adjust the tension on a mountain climbing rope?

The tension on a mountain climbing rope can be adjusted by changing the angle of the rope, adding or removing weight from the climber, or adjusting the friction between the rope and the anchor points. For example, if the tension is too high, the climber can shift their weight or change the angle of the rope to decrease the tension. Conversely, if the tension is too low, the climber can add weight or increase friction to increase tension.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when adjusting rope tension while mountain climbing?

When adjusting rope tension while mountain climbing, it is important to always make sure the climber is securely anchored and to communicate with the belayer to ensure they are prepared for any changes in tension. The climber should also be aware of any potential hazards, such as sharp edges or loose rocks, that could affect the tension on the rope. It is also important to regularly check the condition of the rope to ensure it is not damaged or worn, as this can affect tension and safety.