What is the Technique for Solving Partial Differentiation in Calculus 2?

In summary, the conversation is about a homework question involving finding the second derivative of a variable V with respect to each of x, y, and z, and proving that the sum of these second derivatives is equal to 0. The person is struggling to understand the technique and is seeking help. The problem does not involve differential equations, but rather taking derivatives.
Isma
i ve never read partial DE...nd i don't kno how to do this question i got in homework...pleasez help
(x^2+y^2+z^2)^-1/2=V
prove dv^2/dx^2 + dv^2/dy^2 + dv^2/dz^2 = 0
(i wrote "d" for partial differential)
i know its a basic question but i can't understand the technique

Physics news on Phys.org
What course is this for?
It doesn't matter that you have "never read partial DE"- this problem has nothing to do with differential equations. It has to do with taking the derivative. If you mean you have not done partial derivatives, the derivative of V with respect to x is just the ordinary derivative, treating y and z as constants. Similarly, the derivative of V with respect to y is just the ordinary derivative, treating x and z as constants; the derivative of V with respect to z is just the ordinary derivative, treating x and y as constants.

Find the second derivative of V with respect to each variable, and add them!

thx...that was easy
it is for Calculus 2 course

Related to What is the Technique for Solving Partial Differentiation in Calculus 2?

1. What is partial differentiation?

Partial differentiation is a method used in multivariable calculus to calculate the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its independent variables while holding the other variables constant. It allows us to analyze how a function changes in response to changes in one variable, while treating the others as fixed.

2. How is partial differentiation different from ordinary differentiation?

Partial differentiation is used when a function has more than one independent variable, while ordinary differentiation is used when a function has only one independent variable. In partial differentiation, we take the derivative with respect to one variable while keeping the others constant, whereas in ordinary differentiation, we take the derivative with respect to the only variable in the function.

3. What is the notation used for partial differentiation?

The notation used for partial differentiation is similar to ordinary differentiation, except we use a subscript to indicate which variable we are differentiating with respect to. For example, the partial derivative of a function f(x,y) with respect to x is written as ∂f/∂x.

4. Why is partial differentiation important?

Partial differentiation is important because it allows us to analyze how a function changes in response to changes in multiple variables, which is crucial in many fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. It also helps us to optimize functions with multiple variables and to understand the relationships between different variables in a function.

5. What are some real-world applications of partial differentiation?

Partial differentiation has many real-world applications, such as in economics, where it is used to model and analyze supply and demand curves. In physics, it is used to calculate rates of change in systems with multiple variables, such as velocity and acceleration. It is also used in engineering for optimization problems, such as finding the minimum cost for a certain design. Additionally, partial differentiation is used in machine learning and data analysis to understand the relationships between different variables in a dataset.