What is the tangent line at point (0,0,1) for the intersection of two surfaces?

In summary: Since the curve is the intersection of the two surfaces, those parametric equations will satisfy both equations so x^2+ y^2+ 1= t^2+ t^2+ 1= 2t^2+ 1= e^{t^3}.
jk8985
The graph of z=x^2+y^2+1 and the graph of x+y+z=e^(xyz) have a common point (0,0,1). Find the angle between the two corresponding tangent planes respect to these two graphs at point (0,0,1). In addition, find the tangent line of the curve intersected by these two graphs at point (0,0,1).

Physics news on Phys.org
So I tried this:

x^2+y^2-z=-1
and I know the angle=arccos(dot product of normal unit vectors)

But I don't know exactly what to do :(

jk8985 said:
The graph of z=x^2+y^2+1 and the graph of x+y+z=e^(xyz) have a common point (0,0,1). Find the angle between the two corresponding tangent planes respect to these two graphs at point (0,0,1). In addition, find the tangent line of the curve intersected by these two graphs at point (0,0,1).
We can think of the two surfaces as "equi-potential" surfaces of [tex]f(x,y,z)= z- x^2- y^2[/tex] and [tex]g(x,y,z)= x+ y+ z- e^{xyz}[/tex]. Their gradients, [tex]\nabla f= -2x\vec{i}- 2y\vec{j}+ \vec{k}[/tex] and [tex]\nabla g= (1- yze^{xyz})\vec{i}+ (1- xze^{xyz})\vec{j}+ (1- xye^{xyz})\vec{k}[/tex] are perpendicular to the surfaces and perpendicular to the tangent planes at each point.

In particular, at (0, 0, 1), [tex]\nabla f(0, 0, 1)= \vec{k}][/tex] so the tangent plane is [tex]0(x- 0)+ 0(y- 0)+ 1(z- 1)= 0[/tex] or z= 1. And [tex]\nabla g(0, 0, 1)= \vec{i}+ \vec{j}+ \vec{k}[/tex] so the tangent plane is [tex]1(x- 0)+ 1(y- 0)+ 1(z- 1)= x+ y+ z- 1= 0[/tex] or [tex]x+ y+ z= 1[/tex]. The angle between those two planes is the same as the ange between the two perendicular vectors and you can use [tex]\vec{u}\cdot\vec{v}= |\vec{u}||\vec{v}|cos(\theta)[/tex] to find that angle.

The length of [tex]\vec{k}[/tex] is 1, the length of [tex]\vec{i}+ \vec{j}+ \vec{k}[/tex] is [tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex], and their dot product is 1. So [tex]1(\sqrt{3})cos(\theta)= 1[/tex].

HallsofIvy said:
We can think of the two surfaces as "equi-potential" surfaces of [tex]f(x,y,z)= z- x^2- y^2[/tex] and [tex]g(x,y,z)= x+ y+ z- e^{xyz}[/tex]. Their gradients, [tex]\nabla f= -2x\vec{i}- 2y\vec{j}+ \vec{k}[/tex] and [tex]\nabla g= (1- yze^{xyz})\vec{i}+ (1- xze^{xyz})\vec{j}+ (1- xye^{xyz})\vec{k}[/tex] are perpendicular to the surfaces and perpendicular to the tangent planes at each point.

In particular, at (0, 0, 1), [tex]\nabla f(0, 0, 1)= \vec{k}][/tex] so the tangent plane is [tex]0(x- 0)+ 0(y- 0)+ 1(z- 1)= 0[/tex] or z= 1. And [tex]\nabla g(0, 0, 1)= \vec{i}+ \vec{j}+ \vec{k}[/tex] so the tangent plane is [tex]1(x- 0)+ 1(y- 0)+ 1(z- 1)= x+ y+ z- 1= 0[/tex] or [tex]x+ y+ z= 1[/tex]. The angle between those two planes is the same as the ange between the two perendicular vectors and you can use [tex]\vec{u}\cdot\vec{v}= |\vec{u}||\vec{v}|cos(\theta)[/tex] to find that angle.

The length of [tex]\vec{k}[/tex] is 1, the length of [tex]\vec{i}+ \vec{j}+ \vec{k}[/tex] is [tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex], and their dot product is 1. So [tex]1(\sqrt{3})cos(\theta)= 1[/tex].

This is exactly what I ended up getting, with theta equalling ~1 radian. How would I go about finding the tangent line? I would always think it's a plane, so I didn't know how to approach it.

jk8985 said:
How would I go about finding the tangent line? I would always think it's a plane, so I didn't know how to approach it.
The curve is the intersection of the two graphs, and the tangent line to the curve (at the point (0,0,1)) will be the intersection of the tangent planes to the graphs at that point. HallsofIvy has already found the equations of the two planes, so all you need to do now is to find the equation of their intersection.

Opalg said:
The curve is the intersection of the two graphs, and the tangent line to the curve (at the point (0,0,1)) will be the intersection of the tangent planes to the graphs at that point. HallsofIvy has already found the equations of the two planes, so all you need to do now is to find the equation of their intersection.

How would I make that at the point (0,0,1) [i think it was that point]

- - - Updated - - -

jk8985 said:
How would I make that at the point (0,0,1) [i think it was that point]

My apologies for the bad grammar, by the way, I'm on my phone.

jk8985 said:
This is exactly what I ended up getting, with theta equalling ~1 radian. How would I go about finding the tangent line? I would always think it's a plane, so I didn't know how to approach it.
What tangent line are you talking about? The tangent line to the curve of intersection? "I would always think it's a plane" confuses me. What do you always think is a plane"?

The tangent planes of the two surfaces, at (0, 0, 1), are, as I said before, z= 1 and x+ y+ z= 1. Since z= 1, x+ y+ z= x+ y+ 1= 1 so x+ y= 0 and y= -x. Taking x as parameter, we can write x= t, y= -t, z= 1 as parametric equations for the tangent line to the curve of intersection at (0, 0, 1).

Related to What is the tangent line at point (0,0,1) for the intersection of two surfaces?

1. What is the formula for finding the angle between two planes?

The formula for finding the angle between two planes is:
cos θ = (a1a2 + b1b2 + c1c2) / √(a1^2 + b1^2 + c1^2) √(a2^2 + b2^2 + c2^2)
where a1, b1, c1 and a2, b2, c2 are the direction cosines of the normal vectors for each plane.

2. How do you find the normal vectors of two planes?

To find the normal vectors of two planes, you can use the cross product of two non-parallel vectors in each plane. This will give you a vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors, and therefore, perpendicular to the plane. Alternatively, you can use the coefficients of the x, y, and z terms in the equations of the planes to determine the direction cosines of the normal vectors.

3. Can the angle between two planes be negative?

No, the angle between two planes cannot be negative. The angle is always measured as the acute angle between the two planes, and therefore, it will always be a positive value between 0 and 90 degrees.

4. What does the angle between two planes represent?

The angle between two planes represents the amount of rotation needed to align one plane with the other. It is also equal to the angle between the normal vectors of the two planes.

5. How is the angle between two planes used in real-world applications?

The concept of the angle between two planes is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. In engineering, it is used to calculate the intersection of two planes, which is important in construction and design. In physics, it is used to determine the angle of incidence and reflection for light rays on reflective surfaces. In astronomy, it is used to calculate the position of celestial objects in the sky.