What is the surface area when a curve is rotated about the x-axis?

In summary, the surface area when the curve y=ex, 0≤x≤1, is rotated about the x-axis can be obtained using the equation Surface Area = 2π∫0^1 x√(1+(e^2x)^2)dx. However, integrating this equation can become complicated and there are various approaches that can be taken, such as substitution or integration by parts. It is important to clarify with your professor whether the x inside the integral should be replaced with f(x).
californicate

Homework Statement

Obtain the surface area when the curve y=ex, 0≤x≤1, is rotated about the x-axis

Homework Equations

Surface Area = 2∏ab x√(1+(dy/dx)2)dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I started with the the equation, Surface Area = 2∏01 x√(1+e2x)dx. However, whichever way I try to integrate I end up getting stuck. By substitution, Nothing ends up working so that the integral becomes simpler, much less only according to one variable. By parts, I just end up with messier and messier integrals. How should I approach this problem?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
californicate said:

Homework Statement

Obtain the surface area when the curve y=ex, 0≤x≤1, is rotated about the x-axis

Homework Equations

Surface Area = 2∏ab x√(1+(dy/dx)2)dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I started with the the equation, Surface Area = 2∏01 x√(1+e2x)dx. However, whichever way I try to integrate I end up getting stuck. By substitution, Nothing ends up working so that the integral becomes simpler, much less only according to one variable. By parts, I just end up with messier and messier integrals. How should I approach this problem?

Thanks!

Hi californicate! Welcome to PF!

Your relevant equation doesn't look right to me. :)

So should the x inside the integral be replaced with an f(x)? That's the equation the prof gave in class, however in examples he switched back and forth between using f(x) and x. I'll ask about it next class.

Thanks!

Related to What is the surface area when a curve is rotated about the x-axis?

What is the surface area of rotation?

The surface area of rotation is the total area of the curved surface formed by rotating a 2-dimensional shape around an axis.

What are the factors that affect the surface area of rotation?

The factors that affect the surface area of rotation include the shape and size of the 2-dimensional shape being rotated, the axis of rotation, and the angle of rotation.

How is the surface area of rotation calculated?

The surface area of rotation is calculated using the formula 2πrh, where r is the radius of the 2-dimensional shape and h is the height or length of the shape.

What are some real-life applications of the surface area of rotation?

The surface area of rotation has many real-life applications, such as in engineering for designing curved structures, in physics for calculating the moment of inertia, and in architecture for creating unique and aesthetically pleasing designs.

Are there any limitations to the surface area of rotation formula?

The surface area of rotation formula has limitations when applied to irregular shapes or shapes with varying radii. In these cases, the surface area must be approximated using methods such as integration.