What is the state vector after measuring

In summary, after measuring a degenerate eigenvalue, the state vector of the system will be a linear superposition of the degenerate states, depending on the nature of the measurement. It is usually more convenient to use the density matrix formulation in this case, which can predict the possible results of future measurements. However, in cases where the measurement apparatus destroys the object being measured, it may be difficult to determine the state after measurement. In cases of von Neumann measurement, the resulting state vector can be normalized to make experiments with an ideally polarized beam. In the case of a measurement operator with degenerate eigenvalues, the final state is given by the normalized projection onto the eigenspace. However, if there is no measurement operator present
aaaa202
What is the state vector of the system after measuring a degenerate eigenvalue?

Surely there are infinitely many vectors of norm 1 that it could be since the degenerate eigenvector span a 2d subspace.

Say that we e.g. have a system where the operators eigenvalues are degenerate such that:

(1,0), (0,1) both represent eigenvectors of same eigenvalue. How can we ever know what state the particle is in after measurement?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is correct - the measurement establishes the eigenvalue, not the vector.
The result will be a linear superposition of the degenerate states depending on the nature of the measurements.
i.e. if the system is a particle in a box, and a measurement of position is taken, and the particle position-state is found to be ##S=\langle x|\psi \rangle## then that position could have resulted from any number of possible energy eigenstates ... so it is infinitely degenerate. The possible results of future measurements can be predicted by the time evolution of the superposition of eigenstates corresponding to the outcome of the measurement.

In this case it is usually more convenient to use the density matrix formulation.

See. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Measurement_in_quantum_mechanics#Density_matrix_formulation

Of course, this depends on the measurement apparatus. Often you simply destroy the object you measure (like detecting a photon, and it gets absorbed). Then you don't want to know the state after the measurement, and it would be a pretty hard task to give it, because it's a complicated excitated state of the macroscopic measurement apparatus that has just absorbed a photon.

If you have an ideas von Neumann measurement (also known as projective measurement), like in an Stern-Gerlach experiment, where you split a beam of atoms with non-zero spin into a set of beams ordered according to the spin-magnetic quantum number by running the atoms through an inhomogeneous magnetic field. Then you absorbed all partial beams except of one, giving you a beam with a definite spin-magnetic quantum number [itex]\sigma_z[/itex].

If the spin part of the single atoms in the original beam are described by the (normalized) state vector [itex]|\psi \rangle[/itex] then after this procedure, the partial beam is described by the statevector
[tex]\tilde{\psi}'= |\sigma_z \rangle \langle \sigma_z|\psi \rangle.[/tex]
The intensity of the new beam then is
[tex]\langle \tilde{\psi}'|\tilde{\psi}' \rangle.[/tex]
Then you normalized the state vector again to make experiments with the ideally polarized beam:
[tex]|\psi' \rangle=\frac{1}{\|\tilde{\psi}' \|} |\tilde{\psi}' \rangle.[/tex]

well maybe I don't understand or you missed my point. Let me make it more clear with an example. Suppose there exists an observable represented by a 2x2 matrix with degenerate eigenvalues,
Now it is clear that any vector in R2 is an eigenvector to this observable, because all vectors in R2 can be represented by a linear combination of the two degenerate eigenvalues. So if you measured an eigenvalue corresponding to this observable how would you ever know which state you had collapsed the state vector onto?

What would a "measurement" involve here?
Show me the math.

aaaa202 said:
well maybe I don't understand or you missed my point. Let me make it more clear with an example. Suppose there exists an observable represented by a 2x2 matrix with degenerate eigenvalues,
That would be a matrix of the form λI, where I is the identity matrix. This matrix represents a measuring device such that every measurement has the result λ. Such a device doesn't even have to interact with the system. Basically, it's a post-it note with the number λ written on it.

aaaa202 said:
So if you measured an eigenvalue corresponding to this observable how would you ever know which state you had collapsed the state vector onto?
You wouldn't.

if you have a measurement operator with degenerate eigenvalue the final state is given as in the usual case : it is the normalized projection of the initial state onto the eigenspace.
However if you had no measurement operator, like a one side measurement of an entangled bipartite state, then the final state is unknow and given by some vector in this space.

aaaa202 said:
What is the state vector of the system after measuring a degenerate eigenvalue?

Surely there are infinitely many vectors of norm 1 that it could be since the degenerate eigenvector span a 2d subspace.

Say that we e.g. have a system where the operators eigenvalues are degenerate such that:

(1,0), (0,1) both represent eigenvectors of same eigenvalue. How can we ever know what state the particle is in after measurement?

I don't have a different/better answer than some of the other posters have already given you, but I will suggest that you look into Ballentine's distinction between preparation and measurement - much easier to speak precisely about states "before" and "after". I learned this from a paper copy of his book, but I'm pretty sure that someone here can find a pointer to something online.

Related to What is the state vector after measuring

1. What is a state vector?

A state vector is a mathematical representation of the state of a quantum system. It includes all the possible states that the system can be in, along with their corresponding probabilities.

2. How is the state vector related to measurements?

When a measurement is made on a quantum system, the state vector collapses into one of its possible states based on the outcome of the measurement. This is known as the collapse of the wave function.

3. What happens to the state vector after measuring?

After a measurement is made, the state vector is updated to reflect the new state of the system. This new state will be one of the possible states in the vector, with a probability of 1.

4. Can the state vector predict the outcome of a measurement?

No, the state vector cannot predict the exact outcome of a measurement. It only gives the probabilities of each possible outcome. The actual outcome is determined by the collapse of the wave function.

5. How does the state vector change over time?

The state vector evolves over time according to the Schrödinger equation, which describes how quantum systems change over time. As measurements are made, the state vector experiences sudden changes, known as quantum jumps, to reflect the new state of the system.