What is the standard for wheel rim sizes and offsets in electric vehicles?

• Thread starter RKD89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    wheel
In summary: For instance, a P235/75R15 tire has a measured outline rim width of 7.5 inches, which incorporates a .50-inch increment for every segment width of 2.50 inches.
RKD89
Hi,

I am designing a BLDC hub motor for an electric buggy/light vehicle.
The wheels are sized as 13" (total outer diameter), 3" wide.
A standard 8" wheel rim should fit in well, width of the rim would be 2.10".
Are there any standards for rims dimensions: The contact area between rim and tire, no. and PCD of bolts, etc

By studying some rims online I was able to conclude that four 11 mm bolts at a P.C.D. of 100 mm or about 4 " is common. But is the standard? I can always check them for strength/load bearing capacity but surely there must be some standard guiding the process.
Also the hub of the wheel rim should be exactly in the centre of wheel, or can there be offsets allowed
(http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoWheelOffsets.do )
The above link says offsets are possible. Just going through certain wheels of Audi, Benz etc shows most cars have offsets.
I would like to have a positive offset based on the above link to hide the motor. How much offset can I have?

I have standards for how a wheel should be test. There must be some other standards for wheel rim sizing, shape of the rim in which a tire would fit etc. I just can't find them online.
It'll be great if someone can point me in the right direction. Or a CAD model of 8" by 2.10" wheel rim will also be helpful (fits a 3.00 x 8 size tire).

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Thank you so much

Likes Bystander
Standard rim sizes incorporate 5.5 inches for P195/75R15 tires, 6 inches for P215/75R15 tires, 6.5 inches for P235/75R15 tires, 7 inches for P225/50R15 tires and 7.5 inches for P225/45R17 tires. The measuring rim width of a tire increments by .5-creep augments in extent to increments in the tire segment width.

The measuring rim width of a tire, additionally called the plan rim width, decides the width of the tire. The outline rim width is a global standard of measure that all tire makers use to guarantee that the tires they deliver have similar measurements in respect to their physical sizes. Bigger tires ordinarily have more extensive wheel widths, while littler tires have contract wheel widths.

Likes hsdrop

Related to What is the standard for wheel rim sizes and offsets in electric vehicles?

1. What are the standard wheel rim sizes for cars?

The standard wheel rim sizes for cars are typically between 14-19 inches in diameter, with the most common being 15, 16, and 17 inches. However, some larger vehicles such as trucks and SUVs may have wheel rims up to 22 inches in diameter.

2. Are there any regulations or standards for wheel rim sizes?

Yes, there are regulations and standards for wheel rim sizes set by organizations such as the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) and the International Organization for Standardization (ISO). These standards ensure that wheel rims meet certain safety and performance requirements.

3. Can I put larger or smaller wheel rims on my car?

It is not recommended to put significantly larger or smaller wheel rims on your car than the standard size. Doing so can affect the handling, performance, and safety of your vehicle. It is best to consult with a professional mechanic or refer to your car's manual for the appropriate wheel rim sizes.

4. How do I determine the correct wheel rim size for my car?

The correct wheel rim size for your car can usually be found in your car's manual or by consulting with a professional mechanic. You can also measure the diameter of your current wheel rims to determine the size. It is important to choose the correct size to ensure proper fit and performance.

5. Are there different standards for wheel rim sizes in different countries?

Yes, different countries may have their own specific standards for wheel rim sizes. For example, the European Union has regulations for wheel rims under the ECE-R124 standard, while Japan has its own JIS standards. It is important to be aware of these standards if you are purchasing wheel rims from a different country.