What is the speed of the ball after colliding with a bat at 1.7 m/s?

In summary, the conversation discusses a collision between a ball and bat, each approaching with a speed of 1.7 m/s. The goal is to find the speed of the ball after the collision, assuming a perfectly elastic collision with no rotational motion and a much larger mass for the bat. Various approaches are suggested, including using the conservation of energy and treating the bat as stationary in a different frame. Ultimately, it is suggested to use the conservation of momentum, with the result being the same as the other approaches. The conversation ends with a playful comment about receiving medals.
Rasine
A ball and bat, approaching one another each with the same speed of 1.7 m/s, collide. Find the speed of the ball after the collision. (Assume the mass of the bat is very much larger than the mass of the ball, a perfectly elastic collision, and no rotational motion).

so i am going to use of energy, and since it is an elatic collison, it will be kenitic energy

.5m1v1i^2+.5m2v2i^2=.5m1v1f^2+.5m2v2f^2

since the mass of the bat is much larger than that of the ball, i am going going to use

v1i+v2i=v1f+v2f

so, if the bat and ball are approching each other at the same speed i am going to take the ball approching the bat to be negitive, so i have

1.7-1.7=v1f+v2f

the answer isn't 0...so this is where i am stuck

Physics news on Phys.org
Rasine said:
since the mass of the bat is much larger than that of the ball, i am going going to use

v1i+v2i=v1f+v2f

Could you explain this assumption please?

i really don't know! i was just trying to go somewhere...can you help me?

Rasine said:
(Assume the mass of the bat is very much larger than the mass of the ball, a perfectly elastic collision, and no rotational motion).

Does this mean that the collision can be treated like a 'ball vs. wall' collision?

i don't know...but i was also thinking that the bat would be taken as 0 and the velociyt of the ball could be 2(1.7)

congrats, radou. Seems like everyone's turning gold around here! :approve: (I know your thinking; you just want more medals! :-p)

(sorry for the OT comment Rasine)

Rasine said:
i don't know...but i was also thinking that the bat would be taken as 0 and the velociyt of the ball could be 2(1.7)
Actually, you are on the right track with this thinking. More precisely: In a frame in which the bat is at rest, the ball moves with speed 2x(1.7). In that frame, treating the bat as hugely massive, what's the rebound velocity of the ball? Then convert back to the original frame to find the ball's speed with respect to the ground.

Rasine said:

Just to add, if you assume m2 >> m1, (where m2 is the mass of the bat), you can easily verify your result by simply using conservation of momentum, unless I'm missing something here.

cristo said:
(I know your thinking; you just want more medals! :-p)

(sorry for the OT comment Rasine)

Bingo. :biggrin:

so if i do that ussing conseravation of energy i will have

0+m2(2*1.7)=0+m2(2*1.7)...right?

i am so confused

Related to What is the speed of the ball after colliding with a bat at 1.7 m/s?

1. What happens when a bat collides with a ball?

When a bat collides with a ball, the kinetic energy from the bat is transferred to the ball, causing it to move in the direction of the bat's swing.

2. How does the speed of the bat affect the collision with the ball?

The speed of the bat directly affects the force of the collision with the ball. The faster the bat is moving, the greater the force and momentum transferred to the ball.

3. What factors can influence the outcome of a bat and ball collision?

The outcome of a bat and ball collision can be influenced by various factors such as the velocity and mass of the bat and ball, the angle of impact, and the elasticity of the materials involved.

4. Why do some collisions result in a home run while others result in a foul ball?

The outcome of a bat and ball collision can vary depending on the angle of impact and the velocity of the ball. A collision at the right angle and with enough force can result in a home run, while a slight deviation in angle or lower velocity can result in a foul ball.

5. How do scientists study the physics of bat and ball collisions?

Scientists use various tools such as high-speed cameras and motion sensors to collect data on the velocity, angle, and force of bat and ball collisions. They also use mathematical equations and simulations to analyze the physics involved in these collisions.