Variation on 3-ball elastic collision

In summary: So you have for both balls two equations (x and y direction). You have two balls, so you have 4 equations. You also have the conservation of kinetic energy. That gives you 5 equations. The last equation comes from the transfer of momentum between the two balls. Remember, momentum transfer is orthogonal to the contact, so the direction of the transfer depends on the angle of the collision. That is your last equation.In summary, the conversation was about calculating the resultant velocities and directions of three perfectly elastic spheres after a simultaneous collision. The equations discussed were V1f^2 + V2f^2 + V3f^2 = V1i^2 for conservation of momentum and the equilateral triangle formed by the spheres for
epilepticbunny

Homework Statement

hello! so i am trying to figure out how to calculate the resultant velocities and directions(angles/vectors) that two perfectly elastic spheres might travel in if they were to be hit simultaneously by a third sphere at an angle. all the spheres are of equal mass, initial velocity isn't important as long as all balls are moving after the collision.
ah and assuming that the two stationary balls are parallel to the x-axis, with the y-axis between the 2 balls, the third ball could come at any angle between 30 to 0 degrees to the vertical.. and contact the 2 balls simultaneously..

Homework Equations

V1f^2 + V2f^2 + V3f^2 = V1i^2
(since all the spheres are of equal mass)

and conservation of momentum should be

V1i = V1f + V2f + V3f i think...

The Attempt at a Solution

i have read the other relevant forum posts and i know how to calculate the resultant forces and directions if the collision is head-on, like o-->8 but not if the first ball hits the other two balls at an angle. i would be really grateful if anyone could help me out with this issue.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The same rules as for two-body collisions still apply: momentum transfer is orthogonal to the contact. In your specific case, it is easy to get the contact directions, as the three balls form an equilateral triangle (all spheres have the same radius?).
There won't be momentum transfer between the two balls initially at rest. That gives you a total of 5 equations for 6 unknowns, so there is still some freedom left in the process.

mfb said:
The same rules as for two-body collisions still apply: momentum transfer is orthogonal to the contact. In your specific case, it is easy to get the contact directions, as the three balls form an equilateral triangle (all spheres have the same radius?).
There won't be momentum transfer between the two balls initially at rest. That gives you a total of 5 equations for 6 unknowns, so there is still some freedom left in the process.

ah... sorry but i don't really understand which 5 equations I'm supposed to get...
i'm assuming hte 6 unknowns are V1 to V3 (final), x and y for each.
but i only get 4 equations,
v1x+v2x+v3x=v1i
and the same thing for the y values
then the simplified conservation of K.E. for x and y values.
(yes all spheres have the same radius)
so sorry, can't seem to wrap my head around it...

epilepticbunny said:
i'm assuming hte 6 unknowns are V1 to V3 (final), x and y for each.
Right.

Kinetic energy is only one equation, there are no "x energy" and "y energy".

The direction of momentum transfer 1->2 and 1->3 give one equation each.

mfb said:
Right.

Kinetic energy is only one equation, there are no "x energy" and "y energy".

The direction of momentum transfer 1->2 and 1->3 give one equation each.

does that mean the two balls would always go in the same direction regardless of the angle the 3rd ball hits them from and only the direction of the 3rd ball would change with the angle?

At least if you neglect things like a rotation of balls, deformations, friction and so on: yes.

mfb said:
At least if you neglect things like a rotation of balls, deformations, friction and so on: yes.
sorry, i still can't seem to get the equations out...

You know the direction of motion, that is a relation between the x and y components of your velocity.

Related to Variation on 3-ball elastic collision

1. What is a 3-ball elastic collision?

A 3-ball elastic collision is a type of collision between three objects, where the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the velocity and direction of each ball before and after the collision will remain the same.

2. How does a 3-ball elastic collision differ from other types of collisions?

In a 3-ball elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved, while in other types of collisions, such as inelastic collisions, some of the kinetic energy is lost in the form of heat or sound.

3. What factors affect the outcome of a 3-ball elastic collision?

The outcome of a 3-ball elastic collision is affected by factors such as the masses of the balls, their velocities, and the angle at which they collide. The laws of conservation of momentum and energy also play a role in determining the outcome.

4. Can a 3-ball elastic collision occur in real life?

Yes, a 3-ball elastic collision can occur in real life, although it is rare. Examples of this type of collision can be seen in billiards or pool games, where the balls collide and bounce off each other without losing any energy.

5. How is the variation on 3-ball elastic collision useful in scientific research?

The variation on 3-ball elastic collision is useful in scientific research as it allows scientists to study the effects of different variables, such as mass and velocity, on the outcome of a collision. This can help in understanding the fundamental laws of physics and can also have practical applications in fields such as engineering and materials science.