What is the speed of a wave on the string?

In summary, the speed of the wave on the string is 39.6 m/s. The equation used was v = √ T / (m/L), where T is the tension in the string, m is the mass of the string, and L is the length of the string. There may be a mistake in the given or answer, as the correct answer should be 39.62 m/s.
Efast

Homework Statement

The tension in the string is 90N; the string is 60cm long and has a weight of 34.44g. What is the speed of the wave on the string?
Answer: 396 m/s

Homework Equations

v = √ T / (m/L)

The Attempt at a Solution

v = √ 90N / (0.0344kg/0.6m)
v = 39.6 m/s

Huh? This looks like it should be pretty simple, plug in and get the answers...
What am I doing wrong, i need one more digit!??

Physics news on Phys.org
Your solution looks correct to me.

I once had a physics teacher who would dig through the questions and solutions so he could assign all of the ones that were wrong. A lot to be learned that way (like which professor never to sign up for again!)

The answer is 39.62 m/s, there must be a mistake in the given or answer! check you prof.

Related to What is the speed of a wave on the string?

What is the speed of a wave on the string?

The speed of a wave on a string is determined by the tension of the string and the mass per unit length of the string.

How is the speed of a wave on a string calculated?

The speed of a wave on a string can be calculated using the equation v = √(T/μ), where v is the speed, T is the tension, and μ is the mass per unit length.

What factors affect the speed of a wave on a string?

The speed of a wave on a string is affected by the tension of the string, the mass per unit length of the string, and the wavelength of the wave.

What is the relationship between the wavelength and speed of a wave on a string?

The wavelength and speed of a wave on a string are inversely proportional. This means that as the wavelength increases, the speed decreases and vice versa.

Can the speed of a wave on a string be greater than the speed of light?

No, the speed of a wave on a string is limited by the properties of the string and cannot exceed the speed of light, which is the maximum speed at which any object can travel in the universe.