What is the speed at which the object was thrown upward?

In summary, the problem involves two objects, one thrown upwards and the other dropped down, passing each other at a height of H/2. Using simple kinematics equations, the speed at which the object was thrown upward can be calculated to be sqrt(Habs(g)).
jgens
Gold Member

Homework Statement

You throw an object directly upward at the same time a person drops an object down to you from a height, H. The two objects pass at a height H/2. With what speed did you throw the object upward?

Homework Equations

Simple kinematics equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't done physics for a while so I'm not certain if I'm entirely off track on this one:

I set up two equations for the motion of the balls (I'm allowing g = -10m/s/s); hence, I got h_a = (gt^2)/2 + H and h_b = (gt^2)/2 + vbi(t) where h_a is the height of the ball being dropped and h_b is the height of the ball being thrown (sorry if my notation is poor or non-standard). Since the balls are released simultaneously and pass at height H/2, I allow t1 to designate the amount of time required for the balls to reach H/2. By equating the two (h_a = h_b = H/2) I get (gt1^2)/2 + H = (gt1^2)/2 + vbi(t1), which solving for vbi produces vbi = H/t1. To solve for t1 I set up the equation H/2 = (gt1^2)/2 + H, and with some manipulations get t1^2 = -H/g and consequently t1 = sqrt(H/abs(g)). Using my value for t1 in my equation for vbi yields vbi = H(sqrt(abs(g)/H) = sqrt(Habs(g)).

Sorry the work is so messy, I don't know how to use Latex.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me! Nicely done.

Thanks!

Related to What is the speed at which the object was thrown upward?

1. What is kinematics in physics?

Kinematics in physics is the branch of mechanics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces causing the motion. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects without taking into account the factors that may be affecting their motion.

2. What are the three basic equations of kinematics?

The three basic equations of kinematics are:

• Position equation: x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at2
  • Velocity equation: v = v0 + at
  • Acceleration equation: v2 = v02 + 2a(x-x0)

These equations can be used to solve for the unknown variables in a kinematics problem.

3. How do you solve a kinematics problem?

To solve a kinematics problem, you first need to identify the known and unknown variables. Then, use the three basic equations of kinematics to set up and solve a system of equations. It is important to pay attention to the units of each variable and use consistent units throughout the problem. Additionally, draw a diagram and label the variables to help visualize the problem.

4. What is the difference between average and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement of an object divided by the total time taken, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time. Average velocity takes into account the entire motion of the object, while instantaneous velocity only considers the velocity at a specific point in time.

5. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a scalar quantity that refers to the rate at which an object covers distance, while velocity is a vector quantity that refers to the rate at which an object changes its position. Speed does not take into account the direction of motion, while velocity does. In other words, velocity includes both the speed and direction of motion.