What is the solution to the MathJax and Android's Chrome bug?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line Slope
In summary, there are issues with the MathJax rendering on mobile devices, specifically on Android phones and tablets. The equations re-render multiple times in different fonts and spacings, resulting in a smaller font size that is difficult to read. This can be resolved by disabling the Fast Preview feature via the MathJax menu, but it is challenging to do so on mobile devices without a right-click function. It is possible to disable Fast Preview sitewide, but it is uncertain if this is something that the majority of users would want.
mathdad
The slope of y = x is 1.

Why is this the case?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Suppose we pick two distinct points on the line:

\(\displaystyle P_1(a,a)\) and \(\displaystyle P_2(a+h,a+h)\) where $0\ne h$

Then:

\(\displaystyle m=\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x}=\frac{a+h-a}{a+h-a}=\frac{h}{h}=1\)

MarkFL said:

Then:

I am having trouble reading your replies. Your Latex "hides" behind your words in bold letters.

- - - Updated - - -

MarkFL said:

Then:

The words "and" and "where" are blocking the two points you talk about in your reply. Can you fix this problem? Talk to the owner of the site.

RTCNTC said:
I am having trouble reading your replies. Your Latex "hides" behind your words in bold letters.

- - - Updated - - -
The words "and" and "where" are blocking the two points you talk about in your reply. Can you fix this problem? Talk to the owner of the site.

I might be able to handle this myself without bothering Jameson, as I also know a thing or two about vBulletin and implementing $\LaTeX$ by MathJax on web pages.. :D

First, what OS/browser are you using, because no one else has reported any issues with my posts.

I have the same problem on my Samsung Android phone in both Chrome and the native browser.
MathJax re-renders 3 or 4 times in different fonts and spacings and ends up in a smaller font for which insufficient space is reserved.
When I tilt my screen to landscape it's still wrong, but when I refresh it, it ends up almost okay.
I've made a screenshot but the dialog to upload it doesn't work on Android. Anyway, it looks exactly as RTCNTC described.
If I switch to the mobile style it renders correctly with the proper font size. The mobile style is just not feasible though. It is too limited in its features.

I like Serena said:
I have the same problem on my Samsung Android phone in both Chrome and the native browser.
MathJax re-renders 3 or 4 times in different fonts and spacings and ends up in a smaller font for which insufficient space is reserved.
When I tilt my screen to landscape it's still wrong, but when I refresh it, it ends up almost okay.
I've made a screenshot but the dialog to upload it doesn't work on Android. Anyway, it looks exactly as RTCNTC described.
If I switch to the mobile style it renders correctly with the proper font size. The mobile style is just not feasible though. It is too limited in its features.

You can deactivate the Fast Preview via the MathJax menu. Right-click any equation and go to Math Settings -> Math Renderer -> Fast Preview and turn that off. Please let me know if tis resolves the issue on your mobile device. :D

MarkFL said:
You can deactivate the Fast Preview via the MathJax menu. Right-click any equation and go to Math Settings -> Math Renderer -> Fast Preview and turn that off. Please let me know if tis resolves the issue on your mobile device. :D

Unfortunately there's no right-click on Android, and the closest thing to it (long press) pops up a different menu.
Now that I know about it, I've disabled Fast Preview on my regular computer - faster loading times, less jumping, and we have to wait for it anyway. Yay!
Is there any other way to switch it off?
A quick google doesn't help, other than explaining it can apparently be configured on the server-side.
How about switching it off globally?
To read any of our pages, I think we have to wait for full rendering anyway.

I like Serena said:
Unfortunately there's no right-click on Android, and the closest thing to it (long press) pops up a different menu.
Now that I know about it, I've disabled Fast Preview on my regular computer - faster loading times and less jumping (I think), yay!
Is there any other way to switch it off?
A quick google doesn't help, other than explaining it can apparently be configured on the server-side.

No right-click? Wow...I knew those pocket gadgets were relatively limited, but didn't know they are that bad. (Bug)

It can be disabled sitewide, but I don't know if this is something the majority wants. (Bandit)

MarkFL said:
No right-click? Wow...I knew those pocket gadgets were relatively limited, but didn't know they are that bad. (Bug)

Heh. Quote Break. ;)

It's not just pocket gadgets, it also applies to tablets, which are quickly gaining in popularity over laptops.
Nowadays web designers have to consider how their site can be viewed on such devices.

MarkFL said:
It can be disabled sitewide, but I don't know if this is something the majority wants. (Bandit)

I seems to me that the majority will want faster loading times, less jumping, and in practice we have to wait for the rendering to complete anyway, to be able to read the pages we have without them shifting while we're trying read.Btw, here's the screen shot:
View attachment 6398

Attachments

• MathJax_size_problem.png
    MathJax_size_problem.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 55
MarkFL said:
I might be able to handle this myself without bothering Jameson, as I also know a thing or two about vBulletin and implementing $\LaTeX$ by MathJax on web pages.. :D

First, what OS/browser are you using, because no one else has reported any issues with my posts.

I do not have a computer or laptop. I use my Samsung J7 Galazy phone for all internet activities.

Okay, I have disabled the fast preview globally, since mobile devices don't allow disabling it locally. Let me know if this resolves the issue. :D

MarkFL said:
Okay, I have disabled the fast preview globally, since mobile devices don't allow disabling it locally. Let me know if this resolves the issue. :D

It's definitely an improvement, loading time is much less, and there's no jumping any more. (Happy)
Effectively we still have a preview, which is the raw latex.
And now it refreshes once into the final view instead of refreshing 3 or 4 times while jumping up and down.

Unfortunately it doesn't solve the issue. The spacing is still wrong. (Worried)

MarkFL said:

Then:

I can't see the points. Did you say the first point is
(a, a) and point 2 is (a + h, a + h)?

- - - Updated - - -

MarkFL said:

No. The Latex problen remains. Let me check my tablet.

- - - Updated - - -

MarkFL said:

No Latex issue on the tablet. I will use my tablet to read your Latex replies.

I like Serena said:
...Unfortunately it doesn't solve the issue. The spacing is still wrong. (Worried)

That is unfortunate, but is an issue that needs to be addressed either by MathJax, or better, by the manufacturers of the mobile browsers. I like to use the metaphor of riding a tricycle on the interstate highway for mobile devices accessing the internet. Rather than redesign the highway, I would say the tricycles need to be improved instead. :D

MarkFL said:
That is unfortunate, but is an issue that needs to be addressed either by MathJax, or better, by the manufacturers of the mobile browsers. I like to use the metaphor of riding a tricycle on the interstate highway for mobile devices accessing the internet. Rather than redesign the highway, I would say the tricycles need to be improved instead. :D

Can you take a look at my Test for Symmetry Parts 1 and 2 questions involving absolute value? I know the rules for testing for symmetry but not too sure if the rules apply in terms of absolute value.

MarkFL said:

I can see that the problem is known, for instance here:
MathJax and Android's Chrome bug - Mathematics Meta Stack Exchange
Unfortunately it doesn't offer a solution.

Related to What is the solution to the MathJax and Android's Chrome bug?

1. What is the slope of the line y = x?

The slope of the line y = x is 1. This is because the equation is in the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept. Since there is no number in front of the x, the slope is assumed to be 1.

2. How do you find the slope of the line y = x?

To find the slope of the line y = x, you can use the slope formula: (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1). Since the equation y = x has the same value for y and x, any two points on the line will have the same coordinates. This means that (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) can be any two points on the line, and the slope will always be 1.

3. What does a slope of 1 mean for the line y = x?

A slope of 1 means that for every 1 unit increase in the x-coordinate, there is also a 1 unit increase in the y-coordinate. This forms a 45-degree angle with the x-axis, and the line goes up 1 unit for every 1 unit it goes to the right. It also means that the line has a constant rate of change of 1.

4. Is the line y = x a straight line?

Yes, the line y = x is a straight line. This is because it has a constant slope of 1 and does not have any breaks or changes in direction. It is a perfect diagonal line that extends infinitely in both directions.

5. What is the significance of the slope of the line y = x?

The slope of the line y = x is significant because it represents the rate of change of the line. In real-life applications, this can represent things like speed, growth, or change in a physical quantity. It also helps determine the direction of the line and how steep or gradual it is.